Remember that mission?

They were on their way back to one of Bane's bases after a smoothly accomplished mission. They had gotten the bounty alive, granting them the triple reward, which was enough to get even Bane in a good mood. Both were sitting in the cockpit of the Justifier, and both were having a bottle of a Caridan booze next to them. She enjoyed the taste of it. Burnt nicely on the way down, had a mellow aftertaste, and gave you a nice buzz. They bantered relaxedly of the old missions, and she remembered some particular ones from years back.

"Did you know that we almost collided on a couple of missions way back then?"

Bane looked at her curiously, trying to figure out what missions she was referring to.

"One was the mission at Rodia, on the outskirts of Iskaayuma. It was about finding that high socialite family's wayward daughter who was on the loose, and had gotten involved with the dealers."

Bane's eyes widened, his upper lip curved revealing his fangs, and he raised his eyebrow. "You were there?"

"Yeah. It was usually easy to ...avoid you, but that time I didn't see it coming. It made no sense you took that mission."

Bane's eyes narrowed. "Yeah... Normally I don't take such contracts. Pay off too little. But, I was bored, and it was near." He sneered at the word "avoided" she had used, and his thoughts started wandering. How much easier it would have been, if she had just asked then and there what he had meant, when he had told she was a weakness? Would have saved a lot... Then, what if she really had asked? Had he answered truthfully? Bane sneered again, dwelling in his thoughts. ...And what IF he had answered truthfully? Had she just accepted flatly what he said, and disappeared the same way, but without the chance to-

Bane's flood of thoughts was disrupted, as he realised that she didn't talk anymore, and concentrated, focusing his eyes. She was looking at him, a glass in her hand, and laying in a relaxed, leaning position in the chair. There was a slightly amused look on her face.

"You are not a very keen listener," she chuckled.

Bane grinned, raising his glass.

"It's the booze."

"Sure it is." Her voice was incredulous. Bane never showed any signs of being drunk.

The Duros focused his eyes. Druk, he was quite drunk. Bane did not remember when he had been like this last time with someone. Then he winced. Yeah. He knew. With Jango. So, very, very long time ago... Jango had taught him never to be in such a shape that you could not rely on yourself, and even more never letting anyone see it, just that they couldn't exploit it. He had been a keen learner. And now... He looked at her. Well, maybe just a couple more shots while talking doesn't hurt...

"So where were you?" Bane inquired.

"I had tracked her down to that club, and was already there. I had been hanging out there, waiting for her to show up from the backroom, when you came in, and headed right into my direction to the bar counter. I can tell you, that the Besalisk who had been trying to hit me was pretty dumbfounded by my sudden change of heart..."

Bane stared at her. "You were at that club?"

"Yeah. Behind that gargantuan Besalisk. Gave me a good enough cover."

"You were in there, and rather than faced me, used some Besalisk as an actual cover? Seriously?" Bane's voice was sullen.

"You caught me by surprise!" She looked a bit sheepish, but her lip was curving into a smile.