Stealing it back: Part I / VI

New story arch begins!  Old and new acquaintances, and a rocky mission.

-----------------

She entered the cockpit, and sat without a word in the second chair, watching the screens in silence. Bane glimpsed at Her, and grunted.

"I know that look. Spit it out. What is it?"

She was still silent for a while before turning Her eyes on Bane.

"Nevar contacted me."

"Oh." Bane raised his eyeridge slightly, but continued staring forwards, ignoring Her piercing gaze without offering any answers.

"...I thought you killed him back then..."

"Should I have? I can go and correct that easily," he said, turning eyes now on Her.

"No!" She shouted out fast, and sneered immediately. Not because She couldn't have said it out loud, but because Bane had cheated that alarmed reaction out of Her.

Bane smirked, pointing his long finger at Her.

"And that reaction is the reason why I did not kill him ...after chatting with him. That, and that you stunned him there, not killing him yourself."

She looked at the Duros dumbfounded.

"And don't bring up what I have said about making the same mistakes twice. Don't think I wasn't ready to put a bolt through his head right there."

"...Then why didn't you? ...Don't get me wrong. I'm glad that you didn't, but what in the Stars made you not do just that?"

Bane was obviously not very keen to open up his decision more, but She was relentlessly staring the rugged bounty hunter who was trying to ignore Her. After a long silence Bane talked;

"I have known you for 15 years, and that big guy is the first one who gives a druk about your ass... You are not the one to make friends, Lady."

"....Ain't that once again the Quacta calling the Stifling slimy?"

Bane chuckled. "Fair enough, but we are not talking about me now."

She just stared at Bane.

"What did you chat about?"

"That ain't your business. Look, if you are not happy he's aliv-'' Bane's voice had an irritated edge, but She cut him off.

"If you give me a hint of what you two chatted about I'll tell you what happened to the Devaronian who betrayed us next time we go to the bar."

Bane raised his eyeridgess. She had always postponed telling that story, though Bane had been keen to know.

"Deal." Then he was silent for a moment, finding out the words how to put it.

"He's professional, right?" Bane asked Her.

"To the core," She answered, wondering where this was going.

"In short, I was about to put a bolt through his brain when he was lying on the ground, but the only thing he asked me was if I was blackmailing you or forcing you to do this against your will. When I let him ...understand how things were he just ...accepted it. He was professional about losing, but concerned about you." Bane chewed the stick in his mouth. "As said, you don't make friends. ...I didn't feel like killing someone who seemed to give a druk."

Bane's irked looks showed that the conversation was over, and that the Duros was having second thoughts just because he had confessed what had happened. She didn't know what to say. After so many years Bane sometimes surprised Her completely, and this was one of those times.