Your own worst enemy: Part II

Ok. The buffr is out. I repeat, the buffer is out. No more ready chapters waiting to be posted, but in progress. I'm having kind of a writer's block, I know how the story goes, but get tied in small details and cannot get over those. I hope to get the next chapter pit in usual pace, but cannot promise. And just when things were getting awkward. :D

---------------------------------------------

They waited for Feli Dren to arrive the next evening. Neither of them said it out loud, but both were on some level hoping the Nautolan would not appear. That would solve the dilemma once and for all for them. But, well before the deadline the hooded figure glancing over his shoulders walked briskly through the landing bay, and up the ramp to meet them in the ship.

"Turn around," She said coldly the moment Dren set afoot in, not caring of Dren's frowning visage, and inserted a small shocking device on the nape of his neck.

"You really think this is necessary? You treat all your clients like this?" Dren grunted when the thin durasteel hooks pierced his skin, and groaned when the metal clamps reached his spine, sending a sudden spasm of pain through him.

"No, just you. Think of it as a special treatment for a special guest." She turned the electro-shock device on. There was a low, momentary humming sound and Dren felt a short, tickling sensation of electricity around the device.

"If you try anything. Anything. Any of us can activate that." She nodded towards Bane, R3 and Todo. "It shouldn't be set on lethal, but considering it's attached to your spinal cord, I can't guarantee it. Also, you are having R3 as your new best friend during the trip. He's gonna watch your every move. And, he's trigger happy. So behave."

"And with this you still want me to sleep in the cell? Are you paranoid or something?" Dren scowled at both Bane and Her.

"Yes." She didn't elaborate which question She answered, just turning Her back on Dren. Bane hadn't said a word. The Duros was just sitting quietly in the chair, face hidden under the brim of the hat, legs resting on the table. His fingers were gently tapping the hilt of his blaster. A gesture so natural Dren wasn't even sure if it was a threat or not.

She enjoyed the last mouthful of Draan's dumpling soup. Just heavenly. Even when warmed. That Mandalorian was so used to his late night customers being less than surefooted, and cherished his cookings so much that it would take a lot more than a mere drop on the floor to make its package to spill the food secured inside it. Bane had already snatched half of the Uj'alayi cake earlier by using Todo to distract Her, and She was just reaching for the rest as Dren's voice behind Her put a sour taste in Her mouth.

"Could you get your droid off my back!?" Nautolan's voice was ireful, and the trip hadn't taken even a third of a day yet.

Well done R3, must be one of your record times. She chuckled quietly, not turning towards the livid smuggler.

"Feel free to lock yourself into the cell to have a break. We agreed that you can stay there, and R3 will let you out unless either of us is sleeping"

"I did, but your droid still buzzed at the door, not leaving me be, and didn't even let me out as agreed!"

She wasn't sure how to respond anymore, and turned around, only barely hiding the twitch on Her lips, looking at R3 questioningly, who was bleeping insolently as a response.

"He says you were acting suspiciously, and needed to be kept contained," She translated. Now She was sure Dren noticed the escaping grin. Oh, R3... You are not making this any easier... She once again wondered where the droid had picked the uncanny habit to annoy almost every living thing, and be oh so selective of whom he liked. She had bought him from offworld Jawas just a few years before meeting Bane. The droid had been a defunct wreck, almost unrepairable even though the model was very new back then. It hadn't taken much to guess it had been an astromech on some starfighter in the Clone Wars, and someone had scavenged what had been left of a fallen vessel. She had bought and repaired the droid, and almost disassembled it herself during the first year... That droid had opinions. Then, Dren's voice interrupted Her train of thoughts.