Final Fight

Hopper was not happy, with me, he was overjoyed with El. They had a tearful moment, so did Jonathan and Will with Joyce. Then we all started explaining what was happening. In the end we were sat around the center of the mall. Hopper was on a bench, El in his lap with a drink. Jonathan and Nancy were stood together. Steve stood by himself and the rest of us sat on the fountain.

"Are we sure this thing us still out there?" Joyce asked. "Still alive?"

"Looked pretty alive to me." I said.

"But if we closed the gate again-" Will said.

"We cut the brain off from the body." Max finished.

"And kill it." Lucas added. "Theoretically."

"Yoo-hoo!" The random guy with Joyce and Hopper, Murray, yelled from across the mall. He walked over waving his arms above his head, a bunch of paper in hand. "Yoo-hoo."

He walked over and put the paper down on a table. We all got up and gathered around it. On the paper was a map, Murray pointed at a room on it.

"Okay. This is what Alexei called The Hub. How The Hub takes us to the vault room."

"Okay, where's the gate?" Hopper asked.

"Right here." Murray pointed. "Now I don't know the scale on this, but I think it's fairly close to the vault room, maybe fifty feet or so."

"More like 500." Erica said, stepping forward. "What? You're just gonna waltz in there like it's commie Disney Land or something?"

"I'm sorry. Who are you?" Murray asked.

"Erica Sinclair. Who are you?"

"Murray... Bauman."

"Listen Mr. Bunman, I'm not trying to you how to do things, but I've been down in that shithole for 24 hours. And with all due respect," She looked at all of us. "You do what this man tells you, you're all gonna die."

"I'm sorry. Why is this four year old speaking to me?" Murray asked.

"Um, I'm ten you bald bastard." Erica said.

"Erica!" Lucas said.

"Just the facts!" Erica yelled back.

I laughed and looked at Lucas. "I love your sister."

"She's right." Dustin said. "You're all gonna die but you don't have to. Exuse me. I'm sorry may I?" Dustin gestured to the maps.

"Please." Murray said sarcastically.

Dustin sat down and took the sheets and a pencil out his pocket. "See this room here? This a storage facility. There's a hatch in here that feeds into their underground ventilation system. That will lead you to the base of the weapon. It's a bit of a maze down there, but between me and Erica we can show you the way."

"You can show us the way?" Hopper reapeted.

"Don't worry. You can do all the fighting and dangerous hero shit, and we'll jus be you're... navigations." Dustin said.

Hopper nodded. "No. Nope."

"But-"

"Dustin you're not going." I said. "If you go, you die. And that's not happening. You're dying by my hands. Not some commie's."

"You kids are weird." Hopper muttered as he walked off and started stripping dead Russians off their guns and radios.

Us kids walked back over to the fountain as he did.

"Well that's settles it." Erica said. "He's gonna die. They're gonna die."

"Everyone's gonna die?" I guessed.