60

Taylor's POV

I didn't know what to think.

I didn't know what to think when my dad told me to rush over to his apartment, "because it was an emergency" didn't put me in the most pleasant mood.

I assumed it was something with mom, or maybe he needed help with the book, maybe he needed an instant opinion. Maybe.

What hadn't crossed my mind was that it could be about Jack.

Why would my dad need to tell me anything about Jack? He didn't. At least, not before everything happened.

All my dad has said to me today so far, is "your boyfriends back in Omaha, yeah?" And I somehow already know that it isn't going to end well.

We're sitting at his table, which is pretty short considering he doesn't live with anyone. But he looks bothered, very bothered. His dark eyebrows are pushed together and his lips are curved in a different way than they usually are. His hands are folded as if this were a business meeting, but he's just wearing a buttoned up shirt like any other day.

I cough hard and put my chin in my palm, "yeah. You know that?" I nonchalantly say.

I'm well aware that Jack isn't dead, or hurt, or something. He would be definitely more rushed if that were the case. And neither of the Jack's have spoken to me once today, so I don't see what this little session my dad requested could be about. It's quickly making me nervous though, what in the hell would he know that I don't?

"Yeah. I do." He nods and his voice changes back to normal, "when was the last time you spoke to him?"

"Yesterday. Why?" I push my eyebrows together and have the urge to stand up from my chair. What does he expect from me? He sits me down at his kitchen table as if he's going to tell a little kid about grandma dying but instead it's about my boyfriend who is a thousand miles away from me.

"He hasn't texted you at all today, yeah?"

"Why are you talking like that?" I snap. My blood has shot through my body these past ten seconds and I'm just becoming more and more bothered. My mind is racing with all the things he could say and I wish I would stop, I'm thinking things that are much too harsh to be realistic.

"Calm down. Something happened and-"

"What happened?" I intertwine my fingers, "nothing like-" I cut myself and my eyes are covered in horror I bet.

"No. God, no." He shakes his head, "did you know he had a record?"

A record?

I'm well aware he isn't talking about a musical record as my mouth hangs open in disgust. I'm not closing it anytime soon, "what are you-"

"Did you know he used to smoke? He destroyed school property? He's broken-"

"Why are you saying this?" I push the table away from my chest and stand up to my feet. A record? A criminal record? I know he used to smoke weed and I know he wasn't always the most thoughtful person but I didn't know it pushed enough to break any law. That doesn't mean my dad can talk to me about it, why now?

"You knew this?"

"Of course I did." I semi-lie while crossing my arms.

"And you don't mind?" He gets up from his chair and raises his eyebrows.

"Of course I don't. That's his past, why would I care about that? You met him, he's so polite and-"

"Polite enough to break Jack Johnson's arm? Honestly, Taylor. What the hell? He's a violent, uneducated kid who doesn't deserve someone as successful as you, what's wrong with you?" His voice raises and it sends chills down my back and veins.