62

"I'm over eighteen, if you forgot." I merely say to Johnson as we walk through the Lincoln airport. I can't ignore the bubbly feeling in my chest at being back home but I also can't fight the sick feeling in my stomach every time I look down at the cast carrying Johnson's arm.

My mom has been on my mind, John Johnson has been on my mind, and Jack Gilinsky has been on my mind. We're heading to Jack J's to see his mom and I'm not sure how she actually feels about me not talking to my mom anymore, but I know she respects it and isn't going to ask any questions.

"I know. Technically, he can't put a restraining order on him or anything. But it's just what Jack did that's making him act like this, he's scared for you and doesn't want you hanging out with the wrong people. Like, he's told the police about how he's afraid for you so they're hesitant on everything he does, you know? No legitimate law is involved but I'm afraid that your dad, being rich as shit, could put him in jail somehow. Or some thing. I don't know. I know you want to see him, and I wish I could make it happen, but Omaha is so antsy and anxious after what happened with me and Jack. Everyone knows we've been best friends since we were five, so people are just confused and scared." Jack talks really fast as the taxi begins to drive. The entire time I look from the man in the front seat, and back to Jack J, seeing if he's finding interest in this conversation. But I don't think he cares at all.

I take a loud sigh and rest my back against the leather. I feel selfish and stupid, this is little trip I'm taking is for Johnson and his family, not Jack G. I shouldn't be upset over my relationship when Jack is next to me with a broken arm, a reddened nose and a dad that's dying in the hospital. Wow, I'm such a bitch.

"I shouldn't be the one complaining, Jack. I'm sorry." I shake my head and rest my forehead on the cold window. Because it's almost November, the weather isn't all that nice. But at this same time, I'm enjoying the chilliness and leaves everywhere, I already miss New York though.

"No, it's fine. I get you're upset, you should be."

"I know but you're the one with a broken arm." I look over at him and grin.

"And you're the one with a broken heart." He raises an eyebrow.

My grin fades, but only slightly. I force the sides of my mouth up again and playfully roll my eyes back on to outside. I don't have a broken heart and he's just teasing, it's inevitable for me to run into Jack G at least once. Right? I mean, how would I know, his phone has been off and he hasn't answered one of my messages.

I feel like I should be more on guard because of this, or antsy. But I'm not. I think it has something to do with his dad maybe taking his phone away just to keep him out trouble. So he does know about everything?

I bite my lip before opening my mouth again, "does he know? How my dad is upset?" I ask.

"Yeah. David told him its best if he stays away, for now. I mean, it's just because of everything happening. In the Summer, when you come back, you'll see each other again. This is just a bump in the road, I'm fine, my dad will be fine, everything will be fine." He assures and I ignore the small crack in his voice at the mention of his dad.

"Do you know how he reacted?" I slowly ask and feel my stomach clench together when we pass Jack G's block.

"Not really. I just know it wasn't good, I'm pretty sure he put a hole in the wall when his dad stole his phone."

"You know, David can't really do that." I say. Just like how my dad can't put some sort of retraining order against Jack, to stay away from me. I'm out of the house and twenty years old, so is Jack. We're adults and our parents can't take things from us or keep us from anyone.