16

Taylor's POV

"How about this?" Mallory walks out of the dressing room in a short black dress.

My eyes marginally widen and I nod. "Yeah that looks really good." I say, honestly.

I've said this before and I don't think it'll ever change, I'm so jealous of Mallory, in a positive way. Not the same way that I'm jealous of Grace or any other girl. Mallory's just gorgeous, and she just happens to be one of the nicest girls ever, I wish I had both.

She smiles and looks at herself in the mirror, "I think I'm gonna get it." She says as she runs her hands down the sides of her skinny figure.

"You should." I murmur and lean back against the wall, picking the skin around my fingernails. 

She walks back into the dressing room and I check my phone.

were leaving in two hours. My text from Sam reads.

"Mal, the guys are leaving soon." I inform her. I hear her groan behind the curtain and come out with her regular clothes on.

"We have to get your dress." She says and reaches to grab my arm. I snatch myself away from her grip before getting up by myself.

"There's nothing here." I tell her. We've been trying for hours and I just want to go home and sleep.

She rolls her eyes and leads me to the other dresses, "you have to stop mopping, especially in front of Jack. You can't let him know he's bugging you, you should get a hot ass dress and then make him regret being an asshole." She confidently plans while running her hands over the dresses.

That's Mallory, thinking of a cliche, movie scene idea and assured that it will happen.

"How about this?" She pulls out a white, puffy dress from the corner. I scrunch my nose up in disgust and she rolls her eyes, "this wouldn't be so hard if you weren't so picky." 

After lots and lots of choices and lots and lots of annoying discussions, she picks out a navy blue dress that I say yes to only because I want to leave. 

It's tight above my hips but it loosely flows out around my thighs, it's simple, and pretty comfortable. Mallory's dress is tight, but she's able to handle the discomfort for hours, I can't.

"Get these too." Mal hands me laced white underwear and a white strapless bra, I look at her, "you can't have straps showing." She raises her eyebrows.

___

Mallory had done my makeup when we got back to the cottage, I only told her to put a small amount, we were only going to a dinner that I wasn't even formally invited to.

I let my wavy hair fall naturally, not bothering to curl it like Mallory. We went into our separate rooms and I slipped on my dress along with one of Mallory's flats. I paced down the stairs with that swirly feeling in my stomach, I hoped to myself that Jack would drool over the sight of me but this dress wasn't enough for it to happen. What is he thought I looked awful? That'd be embarrassing. 

He definitely didn't look awful, though. My stomach squeezed together at the sight of him in a suit, I tried to take my eyes off of him but it was almost like they were glued to him. I guess people say that all the time, but it was literal in my situation. I wanted to touch him because he didn't exactly look real, I genuinely thought he wouldn't wear a suit tonight, I never would have pictures him in one. The thought alone is jaw dropping.

"You look great." Sam smiles. His voice finally makes me look away and I feel my face burn when I do, I hope he didn't see me looking at him.

"You do too." I push for a simper but it's painfully forced. I wish I didn't feel so awkward.