𝐋𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

Chapter Seventy-Eight:
𝐈𝐧 𝐖𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐔𝐧𝐜𝐥𝐞 𝐀𝐚𝐫𝐨𝐧 𝐈𝐬 𝐁𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐀 𝐃𝐚𝐭𝐞

┌──────────────────────┐

└──────────────────────┘

❝ 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐨𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐝. ❞

─────𝐀𝐚𝐫𝐨𝐧 𝐉𝐨𝐡𝐧𝐬𝐨𝐧

There was only one topic of conversation in the corridors now: the ten escaped Death Eaters, whose story had finally filtered through the school from those few people who read the newspapers. Rumors were flying that some of the convicts had been spotted in Hogsmeade, that they were supposed to be hiding out in the Shrieking Shack, and that they were going to break into Hogwarts, just as Sirius had done.

Those who came from Wizarding families had grown up hearing the names of these Death Eaters spoken with almost as much fear as Voldemort's; the crimes they had committed during the days of Voldemort's reign of terror were legendary. They were relatives of their victims among the Hogwarts students, who now found themselves the unwilling objects of a gruesome sort of reflected fame as they walked the corridors: Susan Bones, who had an uncle, aunt, and cousins who had all died at the hands of one of the ten.

Dorcas told her the story.

It was disgusting.

It was not only the students' mood that had changed. It was now quite common to come across two or three teachers conversing in low, urgent whispers in the corridors, breaking off their conversations the moment they saw students approaching since Umbridge declared a new decree.

— by order of —
The High Inquisitor of Hogwarts

Teachers are hereby banned from giving students any information that is not strictly related to the subjects they are paid to teach.

The above is in accordance with Educational Decree Number Twenty-six.

This latest decree had been the subject of a great number of jokes among the students. Lee Jordan had pointed out to Umbridge that by the terms of the new rule she was not allowed to tell Fred and George off for playing Exploding Snap in the back of the class.

"Exploding Snap's got nothing to do with Defense Against the Dark Arts, Professor! That's not information relating to your subject!"