Awake

Natasha's POV:

"You, Natasha Romanoff, died," Fury said abruptly.

"Talk about getting straight to the point," I mumbled under my breath, earning a slight laugh from Wanda.

Fury rolled his eye at my antics, giving me a death stare. I straightened my posture, seeing his unamused face.

"Wait a minute, if I died, how exactly am I here right now?" I asked him, making a great point, but he clearly wasn't even halfway done with his explanation.

With a shake of his head, Fury answered, "The world spent around a year trying to recover from yours and Tony's death. You both sacrificed yourself for them."

I fiddled with my hands, getting flashbacks about what had happened at vormir, now knowing that they weren't joking about the situation.

But then, his words replayed in my head, "Tony?"

Fury visibly gulped at this, "Yeah. Maximoff?" He uttered towards the blonde, obviously trying to get her to show me parts for what had happened to Tony.

Before she could actually project the image into my head, I stopped her, shaking my head, "No thanks, witchy. I think I'll pass on that one."

Wanda nodded softly, dropping her hand to her lap as she continued to fiddle with her fingers.

"Now, this was around the same time a new recruit on Coulson's team came in."

I nodded, taking in the information that was being given, trying to make any sort of links between it and what he had told me before, "W- wait hold on, C-coulson?"

"Agent Coulson," Fury told me, "Phil."

"Wait I thought he-"

"We're getting onto it," Fury clapped his hands, and I instantly shut up, knowing better than to question his stories, "Project Tahiti."

"Which is?"

"Slow down, Romanoff, I'm getting there."

He seemed to mumble a 'jeez' under his breath which made me roll my eyes.

"Tahiti- a shield level 9 project. It just basically involved the harvesting of an alien corpse for medical purposes," He stopped himself, gulping down a breath, "And with a load of work, it was able to bring back a dead agent."

"Sorry what?" I started, before being rudely cut off.

"As you know, we couldn't use this on any person, since... supplies were limited. It was meant to be a backup just incase something happened to any of the Avengers."

"Go on..."

"And something did," Wanda noted.

"Now we," He paused, questioning his next word, "Experimented a little with Coulson and somehow ended up bringing him back."

"What? Wait, so you're telling me that you revived Coulson?"

He and Wanda had a huge smirk on their face as if they weren't aware of the fury dripping from my words.

"And you just decided not to tell any if us? You know how guilty Thor had felt that his own brother had murdered one of our own?"

"Listen Romanoff. All due respect, that wasn't our intention. We needed to keep Coulson being alive from you all a little longer-"

"Why?"

"You never know who's listening." He stated blankly.

I took a long sigh, flopping back into my seat, "What happened after your little experiment with Coulson?"

"The project... Well, let's just say it all went wrong. All of its contents were destroyed," I squinted at Fury's words. We were going into a full on story now, "Anyway, Long story short, the new recruit, Y/N-"

"Hold on, Y/N?" I queried, eyebrow raised, "As in the Y/N that's unconscious in the other room?"

"Yes, Natasha, that Y/N," Wanda commented.

"Huh," I started, trying to come up with a remark, but nothing had came to mind.

"Y/N," The man started, "She made an upgrade. A new project."

"It was like a remake of Project Tahiti."

"Just better. We didn't even need to keep your bodies contained, her project- i- it worked either way." He laughed, "And with a few simple days, you were back. All we needed to do was get your memories back."

"What hold on- Wanda couldn't have done that?"

"Nope," The witch shook her head, "I don't have all your memories. And there were parts I- couldn't access."

"So blah- blah- blah, we made a simulation to get your memories back-"

"Somehow," I heard Wanda mutter.

"Y/N volunteering to help out, along with a load of other agents and now we're here."

I put my hand to my head, trying to prevent the migraine that was slowly slipping in."Woah, woah woah, this is a lot."

Fury nodded in understanding, before continuing to tell his tale, "But that's not all... Somehow, Y/N interacted with every single one of our agents there."

"And that means what, exactly?"

"Well, it might not actually occur- and see, they were all warned of the dangers before they signed up," he warned me to note.

"Fury?" I turned to look at him, seriousness painted all across my face, hoping that he would finish off, "What does that mean?"

"She might lose all her memories by the time she wakes up..."

"What?!"

"It's a maybe, Natasha. It doesn't mean it's definite."

"But you can get them all back, right?"

Fury directed his eye to the floor, supposedly taking a gulp, "Sadly, no. It- If this does happen, there's no way we can go back. And slowly, but surely, she won't be able to function anymore."

"To the point where she might-" Wanda started, chewing in her bottom lip for comfort.

"Hold on, what?" My eyebrows wrinkled together, "And what? We can't do anything about it?!"

Even though I hardly knew the girl, I still felt bad. She had sacrificed her life to bring me and Tony back from the dead- saving our lives- just for her to die herself?

"There's nothing we can do Natasha..."

Just then the door swung open with a 'creek', revealing the short teenager, the other kid, hiding behind him, "Uh, sir, Y/N's awake."

----

A/N: I do apologise for the wait, but HEY- it's here now :)