Chapter 40 : The Second Departure

Before I know it, it's Friday. Normally Friday is one of the best days of the week because it's the last day before the weekend but not this week. Jay and Jake got a call the other day that said the dorms are back in shape, so they have to go back. I don't want to have to say goodbye again.

"Hana, we're leaving for the airport," I hear my mom say and I look at the time. It is 4:45 and the plane leaves at 6:30. I go downstairs and get in the car with my mom, Jay, and Jake to ride to the airport.

When we get there, my mom does the same as last time and looks up what gate we have to go to, and we are there by 6:00.

"That didn't take nearly as long as it did last time," my mom says.

"Yeah, because Hana and Ni-ki-"

"Okay, Jay. We get it. You're single," I say and roll my eyes playfully.

"Whatever. We should probably get on the plane now anyway. The earlier we get on, the easier it is to get to our seats," Jay says.

"Bye, Jay. And bye, Jake. You're welcome anytime," my mom says and hugs them both.

"Thank you so much for letting me stay with you. It means so much. I'm glad I got to meet Jay's wonderful mom and sweet sister," he says and hugs us.

My eyes start tearing up knowing that Jay is leaving again and he walks over to me.

"Hey, don't cry," he says and hugs me tightly.

"You just came back, why do you have to go again?"

"Because the dorms are ready now. We have to attend our classes in person," he says. "Don't be too sad. Christmas is in two months so I'll be back home to celebrate it with you," he rubs my back for a minute before letting go and kissing the top of my head one last time before he leaves. We watch them until they disappear behind the plane doors.

"It won't be too long until we see him again," my mom says and wraps her arm around my shoulder.

"I know. It just seems like forever..." I say.

"Come on, let's go eat at the restaurant we passed when we came here," she says and we get in the car.

While my mom is driving to the restaurant, I get a call on my phone from Ni-ki.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Han- are you okay?" He asks. "You sound like you were crying."

"How did you-"

"I just had a feeling. Are you okay? Do you need me to-"

"No, I'm okay. Jay just left again. I'll be fine in a few hours," I say.

"Are you sure? I can come over. My mom probably won't mind," he says and I hear him stand up.

"No, no, stay home. It's fine. Really. I'll call you later, okay?" I reassure him.

"Okay... I love you," he says.

"Love you too," I say and hang up.

We get to the restaurant and my mom gets us a table. We order our drinks and they're delivered almost immediately.

"What do you want to get?" She asks me as I look through the long menu.

"Umm... maybe just the spicy pork dish," I say and point to it on the menu.

"Okay," my mom says and waves a waiter over to our table.

"Can we get two orders of the spicy pork and some of the spicy rice cakes?" She asks. The waiter writes it all down on the paper and says our food will be out shortly.

I take a sip of my drink and scroll through my phone while I wait.

"Everything seems to be good between you and Ni-ki," my mom says.

"Uh, yeah. It's going great," I reply. I hope she doesn't think I'm being rude or anything, I just don't know how to talk to my mom about him.

"I'm happy that you found each other. I just hope your dad won't get upset," she says.

"Will he be coming home for Christmas?" I ask her.

"Yeah, he will. We'll have the whole family together again," she says excitedly.

"I miss Dad and Jay so much... I want them to be back home for good."

"Me too, Hana. It's so different without them," she tells me as the waiter comes to our table with our food.

"Do you need anything else?" He asks us.

"Uh, no, I think we're good. Thank you," my mom says and we start eating. "Wow, this tastes great. Just like the home cooked meals from my childhood. I would come here more if it wasn't so far away."

We finish eating and pay, then leave. It takes about half an hour to get home from the restaurant. When we get home, I go up to my room to rest since it's Friday afternoon and I'm really tired. I did not expect, however, to have a visitor.

I open my bedroom door and see Ni-ki lying on my bed on his phone.

"Ni-ki? How did you get in here?" I whisper yell to him.

He sits up and smiles when he sees me.

"Finally, you're home," he says, engulfing me in a hug.

"How-"

"Uh, I may have... snuck in. Through your window..." he says awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck.

"You did what?" I ask surprised.

"Please don't be mad at me. I just wanted to check on you since you sounded sad over the phone..." he says, looking into my eyes.

"I'm not mad, I promise. Thank you for coming to check on me," I say. I let go of his hands and pull his face closer to mine, kissing him. I feel him smile and pull my body closer, so close that there's room for nothing in between our bodies.

I pull away from the kiss and pull Ni-ki to lay down.

"Wait, what if your mom comes in?" He asks nervously. I stand up, lock the door, and lay back down in his arms.

"There, it's locked. You don't have to worry anymore," I say. We just lay there for a while, enjoying each other's company. Eventually, it gets late and Ni-ki has to leave.

"Ni-ki, be careful," I say as he starts climbing back out the window.

"I'll be fine. I climbed up, now I can go back down," he says. "I love you, Hana."

"I love you too," I reply and kiss the tip of his nose, causing him to blush a little bit.

He climbs down carefully, making sure to place his feet in just the right spot so he won't fall and he makes it down. He waves at me before running away in the direction of his house.

I close the window and smile to myself, thinking back on everything Ni-ki has ever told me that makes my heart race. Just then I get a text message from him, with a few hearts and a selfie of him outside. I send hearts back and unlock my bedroom door in case my mom tries to come in during the night for any reason. I get dressed in my pajamas and lay down, the feeling of Ni-ki's skin against mine still lingering, helping to soothe me to sleep once again.

(A/N : Okay, I like this chapter more than the last one lol, although it feels a little shorter than I would like it to be. I'm really glad I had so much time to write and have fun this weekend, it was a nice break from going to school every day. Thank you once again to everyone who reads this and I hope you have an amazing day/night!! <3)