Chapter 21- Madison

"Please give me some good news," I beg Vanessa the next day but she's silent. Not a peep comes from her end and I get exasperated. "Really? Nothing?"

"Well give me a few minutes to think, Mad." She reasons, "Fuck, my mind still can't process the fact that you told Maxon about the baby. About what really happened for you to lose her. About how he-he—shit. Him and my brother are speaking to dad correct?"

I nod, "They are."

The second the sun rose Maxon was out of bed ordering Luke to call his father to discuss the situation with Natasha. It's been hours since he's been gone but I'm sure he'll be arriving soon. With a solution I hope.

"Dad's smart." Vanessa continues, "He'll find a way. But good news, good news, oh! I haven't gone to the mall once this entire month. School's been so busy!"

The first smile I've felt in days appears on my face, "Almost a vet I see. When do you begin your internship?"

"This summer! I want to get as much experience as I can before I go off to grad school. Hmm, do you think there will be a cute doctor monitoring my progress? Oh! Imagine how sexy it would be to see a hot man helping a small puppy?"

I chuckle, V always makes me smile somehow. I feel I've been the bearer of bad news and need her to balance me out. It's worked for us always. It's just the way of life.

"Is that what you've been reading?" I tease and she argues, "Hey anything's possible! And a girl can dream right?"

I shake my head knowing Vanessa's as much of a book junkie as I am. It's just been a while since I've had the time to settle down to read one. I'm not sure how she has the time to. The girl's got an immense mental capacity, she just doesn't give herself enough credit, coming off as more playful and careless.

The door to the house opens then and Maxon comes in, face unreadable. When he notices I'm on the phone he mouths, "who is it?"

"Vanessa." I mouth back and he nods. I can hear V in the background talking but I ask, "what happened?" He shakes his head and motions to the phone in my hands, "keep talking, don't worry."

He plants a kiss to the side of my head before walking over to a different part of the house. I'm assuming into his office since I hear a door close not two minutes later.

"...I have no time to date cute guys though so that's a big bummer." I tune back into Vanessa and say, "what? Yeah I'm sure that is."

I hope she doesn't catch on that I wasn't paying attention to that last part.

"Madi, you are dating one of the hottest guys in the world," She states, sounding as if she's missing out on life. "And Lane—my brother's Coach—was trying to make a move. Shit. I think I should just move over to Boston because that seems where it's all been going down with the men."

A small smile graces my face. I would really want her to keep me company here. "I miss us living in the same city. I miss you and my family."

"Girl, I would move back over there. Just say the word and I'll get on the first flight over."

I let out a hearty laugh knowing she can't just up and leave when she's in the middle of finishing college. Vanessa adds, "But yeah, besides that everything's been good. Your family too. All hard working per usual. It's actually starting to rub off on me."

"You were never lazy, Vanessa."

There she goes, not giving herself credit.

"Now don't be nice Madi, you know I slacked sometimes at work."

"You're right," I smile into the phone, "you did."

"Hey!"

I chuckle and she says, reminding me of Maxon and I's current issue, "But anyway don't worry, Mad. I know everything will be solved. Natbitchy ass will go down. No one messes with my best friends."