Chapter Two: Sukuna: King of Curses

"How does an occult club find something like that?" you asked, running with Megumi and Yuji. 

"Ah well it's a long story but erm," Yuji starts, running beside you. "We just found it."

"Doesn't sound like a long story," you said, deadpanning. He turns to Megumi and asks, "Do talismans come off that easily?" 

"No, it's impossible for people who lack cursed energy. Normally."

'But two high schoolers manage to take it off,' you thought, shaking your head. 'Dammit, I wished I remembered every detail of this episode but because of this damn concussion I can't remember much.' 

"Go right! It's a shortcut!"

You struggle a bit to keep up with them and soon the three of you run up to the school. But something manages to push you three backward, like the school's aura, pushing you back with intense pressure.

"What is that stuff?" you voice out, seeing a dark aura surrounding the school. It's a mixture of purple and dark colors, something evil is resting in there. 

"Both of you stay here," Megumi orders. 

He climbs the fence and Yuji immediately tries to follow him. "Wait I'm coming too! I've only known them for a few months, but they're my friends. I can't just stand by!"

Megumi looks back, his stare hardening at Yuji. "Stay here," he ordered once more and jumped off the fence. 

'Just stay back Y/N,' you thought. 'The episode should play out normally if you're not in the way, don't get in the way you'll just mess things up. Your presence will probably mess with the timeline... Yuji will get the courage to go in there and help Megumi then eat the finger...' 

You tried to remain logical but your nerves are on edge right now. They're kids, they're children, and the maternal instinct in you is screaming at you to help them. You made a promise to yourself that you would protect those younger than you.

The world screws the children and damages them, breaking them in ways that many are not able to come back. Sure you're only 22, but you can't just...you don't want anyone to ever end up like you and your state of mind. 

'What good are you at protecting those, when you're just going to stand here and hope for the best?'

Those words haunt your mind, echoing as if to mock you. There's also another force stopping you, fear. Fear you're going to make everything worse trying to play the hero. Fear that you're going to die.

Die...

You've been looking forward to dying your whole life, so what does it matter now?

You grit your teeth, fighting the protective side of you and Yuji immediately climbs the fence. Your eyes widen a bit as you snap out of your thoughts. Before he jumps over it completely he turns back to you and reaches his hand out.