Chapter Twenty-One: Failure

"She still hasn't come out of the shell?"

Yuji looks back to see Nanami, walk up to your bedside. Well, it wasn't really a bed, your shell had to be placed on a heavy metal base just to hold you up. 

You're still stuck in the same position as you were when you three were facing Mahito. As if you were frozen in time. Your blood is still there on your lips, ears, nose, eyes, and fingernails. Your marks are still there. Yuji looks down, clenching his fists. 

"What's going to happen to her?" Yuji asked, afraid. 

"Since she's still claimed as deceased I can't report this to anyone but Gojo. However there is a high chance she will have an execution ahead of her." Yuji frowns, grinding his teeth together. 

"She should come out soon so we can treat her," Nanami spoke. "Never saw a sorcerer seal themselves in a barrier like this before. Impressive, but it could've killed her."

"We only lived...because we went into Sukuna's domain," he whispers angrily. "Y/N is always there for me, always looking out for me. The least I could've done was save her little brother."

"You did what you could Yuji."

"She's going to hate me..."

"You? Of all people?" Nanami's voice held disbelief that Yuji came to that conclusion. "She's not going to hate you, she cares about you too much to." Yuji still has a sullen expression as he remembers the many body bags that came from this mission. B/N's, Rosa's, the cursed humans, so many lives are gone because of that patchwork asshole.

"How did Rosa die?" Yuji asked in a hushed tone. 

"Reports say she was found ripped to shreds by what appears to be large claws," Nanami answers. "Sukuna's finger was found on her nightstand, if I had to say Mahito did that to frame Y/N because her go-to weapon is claws."

"If I can't save one person," Yuji whispers. "Why should I bother doing this? I always believed that everyone gets a proper death, and I would try to avoid killing someone as long as I can. What is a proper death?"

"I don't know what that is either. Even if good people dying in peace and evil people being punished with death is the proper way,  most of the people in this world are neither good nor evil.  Death is the final destination for all of us, but no one dies the same death. Trying to guide all of them to their proper end would surely be arduous. I personally wouldn't recommend it." 

Nanami glances at Yuji from the corner of his eye as the poor kid stares at you. 

"And you're wrong about not saving one person. You did save someone Yuji. You saved Y/N from being stolen from Mahito, who knows what he could've done to her if he got away with her? You're going to meet many people who are going to need you in the future. Because you're a jujutsu sorcerer now, Itadori-kun."

Nanami left him alone and Yuji places his palm against your shell. Your shell is almost like a thick glass, the grayish sickly color is transparent so your body is still there to see. He rests his head against the shell, feeling his eyes sting.