16: First Day of Disaster

Asano eventually awoke from a long period of blackout by the girl he claimed to be annoying earlier, lightly tapping his face.

"Wakey-wakey! Oh, you ARE now awake. How glad I am! Because if you won't, I wouldn't know what to do without your leadership. And so far imagining people's reactions to your death had been so entertaining. Say, have you ever wondered whether your father would mourn over your funeral? It's such a nice topic to imagine about."

Asano's facial expression twitched from the awful pain in his right arm, trying to gain consciousness of his surroundings as well as trying to avoid the shattered window glass from cutting his skin.

After gaining consciousness, he realized that he was now still stuck in the fallen bus after the accident, though, he was grateful that he hadn't stopped breathing.

Roving his gaze to survey the surrounding, it appeared that almost everyone on the bus had vanished without a trace. The bus was completely damaged, broken window glass smeared everywhere along with messy blood blots, and was flipped aside to his side as he was lying there, still with the seatbelt wrapped around his arm.

Shifting his gaze at Arina, as though the awful surrounding hadn't scared her yet, and even worse, as if she thought they had arrived safely at the camping site, positively said:

"Don't worry! I promise you this will be a brilliant adventure. There isn't anything to be afraid of. As long as we make up our minds firmly that everything will be alright, they will. Of course, you must make it up FIRMLY in order for it to work."

Asano was caught off guard by her reckless thinking, and angrily yelled at her, "HAVE you been so reckless that you dare to call this an adventure!? Have you considered how much loss has been made!? Have you thought of how we can cope with this situation considering it getting out of hand!? THIS is a serious situation, Arina! I expect you to come out of your oh-so-dreamy land and face the reality!"

Asano wasn't aware that he had hurt her feelings, as Arina only wanted to stay positive so she could inspire him to not be so dreadful. But even though he discovered that he'd hurt her in any way, it wouldn't matter to him anyway.

"Oh, Asano-kun," she drew a long sigh, "To face the reality is indeed boring you know, I wouldn't have survived in this world if the only thing I know is the dreadful reality. You should try imagining better scenarios sometimes, Asano-kun! it'd help a lot in bearing under affliction, that's definitely for sure. Well, be careful now!"

Arina abruptly stopped him from trying to remove the seatbelt from his arm on his own. She carefully removed it, to which he was gritting his teeth, trying his best not to groan out of pain.

"Oh dear," she clicked her tongue, shaking her head in pity, "Your arm is broken. I suppose you're in very devastating pain right now. Don't worry — you can scream. I wouldn't make fun of you if you scream. You know, I once fell down from a tree branch and got my leg broken. Do you know what I did to get myself feel relief? Why, yes — screaming. I screamed all my pain out until my throat got all stuck up and sore and I could barely scream any longer. But it did help a lot, so don't hold back the urge to scream, Asano-kun. But why are we wired to scream though?"

Arina looked up at the sky. Curiosity was visible on her face.

While purposely annoying Asano to distract him from thinking about the pain, she deftly pulled him out of the crushed bus and laid him down beside the other injured students.

It was nothing like how Arina promised him to be — a brilliant adventure. It was more like a nightmare to him: four out of fifteen students on that bus died including the bus driver. Their corpses for some reason were piling up at one spot as though somebody had thrown them there.