46: The Girl Behind the Happy Uncover - a past chapter

In the year 2005, Arina Avenira, a small child, was only three years old.

Everyday life she woke up in a campus of buildings including holding cells with medical, and technological facilities, and a gigantic crematorium.

The trains came and left frequently bringing countless people from different nations to the camp. The young Arina was curious all the time and confused as to why so many arrived at this place. She was among those who hadn't been called out for the experiment just yet, living in a dark, damp cell with a bunch of others, and as though the soldiers acknowledge her worth, she was spared multiple times.

She was a lucky girl indeed when compared to many others. She was blessed with such imagination to escape the brutal reality and was even luckier to find someone who worked hard to boost it further– a mysterious Japanese old man who was held in the same cell as her, regularly telling the young girl all that happened before her eyes were just a game.

"Grandpa, how come you're so different?" even though Arina was only three years old, she could already talk very well. "You look different from human."

The old man laughed.

"Well now, imagine a world where there are a lot of people who look the same as me, you will be very shocked."

Arina smiled dreamily. The 'world' sounded like an interesting abstract concept. And full of colors. Colors, yes, colors. Colors seemed to be an interesting concept too, the most colorful place Arina had ever witnessed was when she shut her eyes closed and saw a blob of colors flashing through before her, all of which were too much loveliness.

"Grandpa, why are we here?"

"Grandpa, why is everything black?"

"Grandpa, why do people come and go?"

"Grandpa, why don't they ever return?"

Being a child, Arina was as curious as ever. She kept questioning her surrounding. And upon that, in order to protect a child's innocence, the old man always replied to her with:

"We are here because a rabbit had dug a chamber and we fell into it."

"What is a rabbit then?"

"It's all black because the stars are hiding somewhere."

"What are stars then?"

"People come and go because they have won the game and become angels, who don't belong to this world."

"What are angels then?"

It was difficult for a little girl to imagine them despite being very good at what she was doing, considering she never had an image of those mentioned things before. The child held her breath in amazement at all those new concepts.

In her imagination which she tried nevertheless, 'rabbit' was very much a human-like creature in a muscular frame. It requires enough strength to dig chambers all the time, doesn't it? As Arina thought.

And 'stars' were basically the light she saw from the outside world every time she got a chance to go out or someone leave and enter the cell, by that the light will step out from its hiding. 'Light' as they called but in Arina's mind it was always 'happy uncover'.

And angels – angels were people who possessed superpowers to be free. Free from this never-ending game. Free from blackness but to chase after and seize Happy Uncover to themselves. Oh, wasn't it just delightful to be an angel?