Plot Summary #2: Arina and Gakushū

Uhh so the plot could've been even deeper, because I wanted to dive deep into the history of this world and how Alexei ceased power, or why there isn't the Second World War but still there are west and east Germany and the US-Japan Security Treaty and the history and the philosophy of Regenism. But uhm, since it's getting too long, I will trim everything short and get to the main points of the story only.

Anyway, let's continue! This part of the summary largely focuses on Asano x Arina relationship, which is closest to the title of this book🥺 (Edit: used to be)

***

They illegally snuck into the Orlas territory by bus so they had to fly to Kazakhstan and then from there rode a bus to Belaya Posadka. When they arrived, Asano was hit by the freezing temperature almost immediately. For Arina, since she thought to herself that she was accustomed to dealing with cold already, she only wore a puffy jacket and wore no gloves.

But Asano, who came out of the bus first, didn't allow her to come out unless she dressed more warmly. In the end, he went to fetch his suitcase and wrapped her with so many layers that she ended up walking like a duck. He didn't bring an extra glove, so eventually Asano wore his on the left and Arina the right, then he held her hand and shoved it into his pocket.

See, Arina wasn't used to being treated nicely at all; so whenever someone was a little nice to her, she would begin to sniffle in tears, but silently.

Her hair was all covered up with a balaclava hat, and even though it was a gloomy winter, she was wearing sunglasses regardless. The purpose was just to conceal her identity, after all.

Before coming, Asano had heard that the Orlas was famous for its 'soulless' architecture. But it wasn't quite true in his opinion. Arina became his tour guide and showed him around.

'This is a typical Khrushchova,' she said, 'and this is a Brezhnevka. These model series are the most common here. Ten of millions of people were left without housing after the Great War and the Revolution. These standard designs of houses had to provide housing for tens of millions of people in the shortest possible time. Oh, Asano-kun! See? This is a typical residential Mikrorayons!'

Asano only thought of them as 'functional', 'rational', or 'efficient' but not quite soulless. Maybe it was just in the eyes of the perceiver, because Arina would prefer beauty over functionality at any time given.

Across the street they were standing Asano could see locals lining up to receive food with ration stamps clutching in their hands.

Wow, it was truly a different world. Since it was his first time there, Asano was having his best time as a tourist, while Arina just sighed in distress thinking about the mission she set for herself.

Seeing him so excited everywhere, she led him to the ice cream truck she used to be obsessed with when she was still a kid. For her it was the best ice cream in the world, and nudged him to try it.

But it was then that Asano figured out that Arina...had turned vegan...

Actually, she had been a vegan for a while now. After reclaiming her memory, every time she looked at meat she would throw up instantly. Why? Because it reminded her of years of living as a cannibal, feasting on human meat. And after reflecting on society as a whole, she had come to the conclusion that the food industry is against nature, too immoral, and the impact it has on the environment is detrimental. She had decided that her own pleasure for taste wouldn't be significant anymore. And if needed, she can just take supplements.

Even if she now couldn't eat ice cream anymore (cries).

Asano respected that she had the self-control to do so.