13: Arina's Suspicious Activities (under-editing)

["I sent you there as a spy just so you can blurt out your identity like that!?]

"I'm so sorry father! I thought people wouldn't mind it that much..."

["You see the result of your recklessness!? That goddamn chairman guy found out about your identity!"]

"It's my fault, father!"

["So...what've you been doing the last few months?"]

"I-I did go to the lab--"

["Found any useful information?"]

"... I'm still figuring out a way to enter."

A dead silence followed from her dad's side...as Arina could feel the sweats roll down her grip on the phone.

Finally, she decided to break the silence, "B-because the deployment is more than a year...that's why I felt no pressure..."

Another dead silence.

"F-father?" she hesitated.

["...My little dove, perhaps I've pampered you too much,"] he said in an icy tone of voice. ["Perhaps I've trusted you too much...(he paused for a while) Pack your stuff, you're going back home."]

Good memories in Japan immediately struck Arina. No. No, she couldn't leave this place like this. This peaceful place. This fun place. This lovely place. And her friends...her comrade brothers...

"No," she said, almost defiantly. "Please give me another chance father, I won't fail you this time! I'll prove to you that I'm worthy of your trust. I swear!"

***

"Sorry, but I'm busy this weekend," said Arina, her visible eyebags made Seo and Teppei wondered when was the last time she had a proper sleep.

"Are you okay?" questioned Teppei, looking worried as Arina slightly nodded her head.

"Um! Thank you for your concern. Anyway, I gotta head home now, still got work to do. See ya!"

With that being said and a parting wave from her, Arina headed straight to the path leading to the train station. Seo and Teppei were stumped at how out of character she was, as they didn't even notice Asano and Ren were approaching them.

"Asano and I are planning to dine out at the finest restaurant tonight, wanna join?" invited Ren enthusiastically, which startled Seo and Teppei as they whirled around.

For Seo, being able to afford something the poor couldn't and brag about it in front of them later was basically his life principle as he happily replied, "Count me in!" with no hesitation.

And as for Teppei, he was still questioning Arina's odd behavior lately, thus making the other guys stand there waiting impatiently for his response.

"So? Araki?"

"Have you noticed that there's something odd about Arina's schedule recently?" said Teppei suddenly. "She seems to be even busier than Asano-run as far as I've witnessed. Minami-san told me that she had abandoned all her club's activities lately. It's getting weird, one time while I was over at Seo's place, I saw her come home with an old man! (Ren's face suddenly went blanched) When I ask about it, she REFUSES to answer."

"D-don't tell me..." stammered Ren, looking anxious. "That explains why she got those eyebags..."

"Ren, without enough information, don't jump to such conclusions like that."

As soon as Asano reminded Ren so, even he had to question Arina's situation out of curiosity as he placed a hand on his chin.

***