23: I'm Going to Get You Home

Day twenty-six and day twenty-seven passed in a blink of an eye, and the two poor kids still hadn't yet found their way out of the mountain despite they'd already run out of food and supplies. Asano was losing faith in life, yet Arina was still determined to stay upbeat all the time and hadn't yet lost faith in anything. A strong-minded little annoying girl – now she was the one to lead both of them on the journey.

Asano had become so depressed that he had lost every bit of energy in him to even open his mouth to talk. As opposed to him, Arina kept on singing random songs to cheer up the situation.

"Pebbles and Bam-Bam on a Friday night trying to get to heaven on a paper kite. Lightning struck, boom! And down they fell, Ahh! Instead of getting to heaven, they went straight to hell! Dino the dog, ruff ruff! Was on the bone, chomp chomp! While Fred and Barney rock the microphone. There was nothing that Fred and Barney could do. Except sing 'Yabba daba daba daba daba daaaaaaba do!"

"Stop it, Arina, you're giving me a headache," said Asano in exasperation, scratching his incredibly itchy hair. Pulling it out, whilst he stared at it with his eyes wide open. Pieces of his strawberry blonde hair had fallen off madly, indicating that he was suffering from insane malnutrition.

Arina had also taken notice of that. It happened to her as well. But when it did happen to Asano, she suddenly felt the urge to go hunt something extraordinary so malnutrition wouldn't dare to affect her loved one.

They proceeded to keep up with the journey. Asano was close to fainting from exhaustion and hunger, but Arina was always there to support him.

"Do you need me to piggyback you, Asano-kun?"

"No, I'm fine," he insisted.

However, Arina noticed his pace gradually got reduced in the following hours. It seemed like he had given up hope and had come to a point when he was unconscious of everything except for the word 'fatigue'.

Arina didn't bother to ask as she came and wrapped his arm around her shoulder and grabbed his waist, helping him walk while supporting his weight.

"Hang in there, all right? I'm going to get you home," smiled Arina gently, "I'm going to get you home."

Asano looked at her in stunned bewilderment, though up to this point he had nothing to be ashamed about anymore. "How are you still got so much energy? Just how unlimited is your stamina?"

Arina faced forward for him to view her profile. "You know, Asano-kun, this is my specialty."

She supported him on the way when Asano was lost in his head. At first, he as a leader had chosen the wrong decision which caused the death of many people, then with one arm broken, he was pretty useless and had to rely on Arina for everything. He also wasn't aware of all the possibilities that could go wrong on this trip and didn't prepare a single thing as opposed to someone as reckless as Arina. And the worst thing was that — he was being supported by the girl he usually looked down upon, whilst he was actually the useless one. If he couldn't even walk on his own, how can he protect and get her home as he'd like to? Never in his life had he hated himself this much.

"I'm sorry," Asano's voice trembled, gritting his teeth in bitter.

Arina was taken aback when a drop of his tears rolled down his cheek. He was completely vulnerable now. All the stress, anxiety, and depression that had bottled up in his chest for the past twenty-seven days now was finally being uncapped and exploded.

Crying in front of others – was the last thing he was willing to do in his life. Now he had broken down and wasn't afraid of showing it anymore. He had given up on her.