20: Escape from Hell Days

Day 14 of Disaster

"Someone come quick! Something's wrong with Hori-san!!" yelled Kibe Hideki.

Apparently, Hori Sayaka ate a flower bud and collapsed to the ground, foaming at the mouth.

At this point, the kids had lost all hope of being saved and had gradually lost their minds.

"I wonder how many days have passed since we came here," said Enoki whilst trembling. He no longer cared about his Burn Book or Maeda. What's the point if he wouldn't survive anyway?

The skinny Kanie Sato spent even more time delirious from vitamin deficiency, while Chimon Ryo had completely gone insane after consuming that one bite of meat from yesterday, to the point he turned into an ape man and fought the others over their portions, as Asano freaked out and had to 'lock' him in his tent.

Shirai Usagi had shown signs of blood poisoning, and Miyake Fuyumi was no longer responsive at all...

"I can't take it anymore," breathed Sakura heavily, struggling to sleep that night. "It would be so much easier if I just closed my eyes, and my heart stopped."

"Life is way too interesting for us to give up this fast," said Arina in determination. "We aren't in hell yet. This beautiful world is still worth surviving for."

Sakura turned to look Arina in the eyes, "I just realized that I haven't decided on my third wish..." as she was the one to hold onto Arina's hands this time.

"Oh yes, whatever you wish for, Sakura-chan, I support it," smiled Arina delightful, and Sakura's eyes went watery.

"Remember my first wish? That I don't want to grow up?" said Sakura in a quivered voice, as Arina responded 'mm-hm' and tucked a hair behind the girl's ear.

"It's because I cherish every moment I have with the people I love. I cherish every moment of my life as a teenage girl just casually living her life with no worry about relationships or financial issues. And the moment I see the things I cherish perish within my sight...I couldn't bare it. Just like how I lost my best friend Yuna-chan...so this time, Arina, my final wish is for you to be safe and return home."

As soon as Sakura said so, Arina gasped in bewilderment, "But -- but what about you, Sakura-chan?"

Sakura smiled softly, as she let go of her grip on the foreign girl's hands and sat halfway up, and so did Arina, "Your lives matter to me more now..."

"What are you talking about?" gasped Arina emotionally, almost tearing up without knowing why she did.

"Because I love you."

And at that moment when Arina was undergoing an emotional outburst, Sakura pressed her lips against hers.

"Wh-what are you doing!?"

Arina rapidly jerked Sakura off, her face went bright red, unable to comprehend the thing that just happened.

"At least I got to show the type of love I have for you..." said Sakura, smiling as a tear rolled down her cheek.

"S-sorry," responded Arina in a panic. "I-- I need some space..."

And so she went outside the tent, still having that red face intact, Arina proceeded to stroll around frantically whilst using her hands to fan away the heat from her face, taking deep breaths in to calm herself down.

She had been raised in a country where they considered those type of people who shares a relationship with a same-sex counterpart as devils and needed to perish. Was a kind soul like Sakura a devil too?