21: Is Arina Reliable?

Day 18 of Disaster

Asano was awoken by the annoying little girl that morning.

"O-o-o-oh, Asano-kun," faltered Arina, sitting by the tree stump, crying bitterly whilst burying her face into her palms. "I suppose you could sympathize properly now given that you had seen what I'd seen last night. And oh, what if Kibe-kun came to you and told you that he loves you -- not like a friend or a brother, but as a lover, how'd you feel about that? Now that he's gone, would you consider torturing yourself by taking his love for granted? I get it now. Love no matter what -- is still love, wouldn't it? Oh how dare I freaked out when someone loves me wholeheartedly. Do you think a devil is capable of love by any chance?"

Asano -- who had got barely of sleep from last night due to being overwhelmed by horror and grief (and the sleep terrain was a nightmare to a prince like him) -- blinked his weary eyes, unconscious of whatever gibberish thing the girl just blabbed about.

"At least you hadn't died," sobbed Arina luxuriously, "Or else in many years when I've become an adult I'd still pay visits to you all's funerals REGULARLY because I'd be grieving too much over not being able to save at least one of you. I'd also retell my kids about the Tragic Fate of the Squad of Outcasts. But I'm not so sure whether they will like you, Asano-kun, because you dared to treat their mother like crap. Oh boy, can we get a trip to heaven to bid a proper farewell to them? I imagined a good deal this whole morning about what I'd say to Sakura-chan if I have a chance. The conversation would go like this -- I'd say 'But Sakura-chan, even though I'm straight, I still appreciate your love for me nevertheless. In fact, I'm likely to love you to a farther extent that would surpass my future husband,' and she'd say 'I'm so glad you said so, Arina. Thank god you don't look down or see me as a devil,' and in the end, we'd give each other a tight embrace. And--and, Shirai and Miyake will also be there to join in the hug. Everyone else also. But oh, how sad to think about when I made up everything in my mind. Do you have any idea on how to get a ticket to heaven, Asano-kun? We must think of a way without dyi-i-i-ing--'" Here Arina broke down entirely and wept with increasing bitterness.

Asano still hadn't processed what she just whined about from all the dizziness from just waking up after a sleepless night. However, after a while, it eventually hit him -- the horrendous scenes from last night and how they ended up there in the middle of the forest.

"SHIT!" cursed Asano uncontrollably, gritting his teeth. For once Arina didn't bother that someone was cursing.

He swiftly sprang to his feet and went over to the weeping Arina, clutching her arm, and pulled her up, "Let's not waste time and find a way out of this mountain! Where's the note you jotted down!?"

"Oh..." sobbed Arina, reaching out for the notepad she used to write down methods to escape the mountain in her pants pocket. "Here you go."

Asano snatched it from her hand. To be honest, he didn't have too high hopes for her investigation but quickly changed his mind when he scanned through the detailed note, which showed her dedication and will to get everyone out of the mountain.

"You even wrote and illustrated how to build a shelter, that's impressive (Arina was about to blab out 'Did I?' when she quickly realized and stopped herself from saying out)...where did you learn all of this?" interrogated Asano, looking up at the nervous Arina.

"Right! I forgot to mention besides medical practice, my dear father had also taught me crucial survival skills. Just how useful it is? Oh my father sure is a saint," lied Arina, again. Asano had no doubt whatsoever, too, this time.

"Your father--" he said but quickly halted and looked as if he was thinking of something. "Nevermind, let's go," and turned around, leading her even though she was the one who wrote that notepad.