Chapter 36

~Jess' POV~

No matter how much I was wishing for time to slow down, it seemed to be doing the opposite. All I wanted was more time with Emelia, but it looked like I wasn't getting what I hoped for. Emelia had been getting increasingly worse the last couple of days and simple things like breathing and walking were becoming harder. Two days ago, I had a stair lift fitted onto the stairs, as Emelia couldn't get up them without gasping for air. It was hard to watch, I hated seeing her this way.

It was a Friday afternoon and she had just entered the kitchen. Her face was pale and she looked very tired. You could tell she was ill, and that's something she didn't want. She had been in a weird mood for the last couple of days, and I felt like I was annoying her with whatever I did. ''I spoke to your doctor.''

She moved towards the table and sat down gracefully, picking up a magazine from the middle of the coffee table and flicking through the pages carelessly. She didn't answer me, almost as if she hadn't heard what I said. I knew she had. ''Emelia? I said I spoke to the doctor.''

''Oh, yeah? What did he say?''

''Since your health has been getting worse, he thinks China is too risky. You can't fly any more, he needs to make sure you're as healthy as possible. We have to stay here.'' She didn't even flinch, continuing to turn the pages, with a splash of anger.

''We could put something else on the list? Something else you've always wanted to do.''

''I don't want to do anything else. What I hoped for is on the list,'' she retorted, closing the magazine and placing it on the table. She leant back into the chair and when she seemed calm, I began replying.

''I know, but... We have to make the best out of the situation-''

''What best? I have cancer. There is no best!'' She raised her voice, almost shouting at me.

''Emelia, calm down. You'll get-''

''Tired? I'm already tired. I'm overly tired. I'm never not tired,'' she interrupted, starting a rant.

''I know. Why don't you go and rest?''

''All I ever do is rest. I can't do anything like a normal person because I'm not bloody normal. I'm just a freak.'' Tears pricked her eyes and she couldn't stop them.

''No, you're not,'' I shook my head. ''Don't say that about yourself.'' I walked towards her and hugged her as she began to cry.

''I just want to live,'' she sobbed into my neck.

''It's ok, I'm here. It's all ok,'' I repeated as she cried. I kissed the top of her head and we stood there for a good five minutes, as I waited for her breathing to even out.

''As much as you may hate me for this, I want you to go upstairs and lay down and get some rest.''

''Will you still be here when I come down later?''

''Of course. I'm not going anywhere,'' I held her at arms length and wiped away her tears,'' she smiled weakly and sniffed. ''Go.''

I watched her leave and after she had gone, I scurried over to the kitchen drawers. Second drawer down. Leaflets. I typed in the number on the front of the orange leaflet and waited for someone to answer. Eventually they did. You've got to love a good surprise.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

The living room was set up with a picnic blanket on the floor. I had moved the coffee table to the edge of the room and food was set out neatly in front of me. I had to control myself; making sure I didn't eat the food before Emelia came downstairs. It was piping hot, and so I waited for Emelia to come downstairs. Music was playing quietly in the background. I could hear it well, until the sound of the stair lift got louder. She was wrapped in a blanket and made her way over to the floor. The lights were on dimly, but her smile lit up the entire room. She knelt down and stared at the food in front of us. ''What is all this, Jessica?''

''Since we couldn't go to China... China came here.''

She tried to squeal but failed epically as her voice broke. The tears started to flow once again and she shifted over to me so I could hug her. ''You did all of this for me?''

''Of course I did. You deserve all of this and more.''

''I don't deserve you, Jessica Ellen Cornish.'' She sat on my lap and smiled contently.

''Well I'm not going anywhere,'' I gave her a smug look and kissed her on the lips.

I could have kissed her for a lot longer, but then our food would be cold. We had to get eating, I ordered so much Chinese food that we could feed a whole neighbourhood. ''Where do we begin?''

''Wherever you want, soldier. I've ordered practically everything on the menu, so we'll be here for a few days.''

I passed her some chopsticks and we tucked into our meal. It was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. When we were sure we couldn't eat any more without popping, we laid on the sofa and chilled for a while. She was on top of me and was clearly shattered. ''I love you so much, Emelia. Do you know that?'' I didn't really give her much of a chance to reply. ''You make me so happy and it's going to be so hard to be without you. I know I shouldn't be thinking about that yet, but it's hard not to. I wish everyday that you could stay here with me, but I guess not everything goes our way. We need to be strong for each other, because if we get used to that now, it may be easier when it comes to the dreaded day.''

I paused for a while, thinking about what I had just said. ''Who am I kidding? It's not going to get easier... But seriously; thank you for making my heart skip a beat. It's not just because I have an irregular heartbeat.''

Would it be bad to say I laughed at my own joke?

After I received no reply from my girlfriend, I turned my head to face her. Well, as best as I could, considering she was basically under my chin. ''Emelia?'' I whispered, tapping her on the back at the same time.

She had fallen asleep.

A/N: This is inspired by me and my best friend because we were being soppy and I fell asleep when she was talking to me:)

Enjoy!