Chapter 4

-------------------------------------Embers POV------------------------------

The warm water kissed my skin, the cool air contrasted the hot water so drastically my body felt in shock. My casted foot wrapped in several layers of plastic wrap and bags, thanks to Dante and Birdman. The water felt good... I don't know how long it took to rinse off before jumping into the tub but I knew I didn't want to sit in a dirt soup... 

It had been several days since we arrived, Dante and Birdman were to return home soon for evaluation of PTSD through their own doctors. Said they didn't trust the British and just wanted to be home.. They'd be back in maybe 6 months if they're cleared but.. I understood. I opted to stay here for evaluation, I kinda liked the gloomy weather in Credenhill.. Besides, I had no family back home. No one really thought I'd make it this far and just assumed I was too cowardice to end my own life. They never believed in depression or therapy, only when my grades started to slip did they start believing in shit like that... Never when it mattered. Which was fine, I didn't care. No contact suited me just fine. 

Omari was... the infection in his arm was so severe that they had to amputate, he was still in recovery but soon they'd have to send him home.. I would be utterly alone here with this group of strangers. 

The water stained my skin red from the heat radiating from it, a deep sigh emerged from my chest as I sunk deeper into the water, everything going muffled. It was freeing, being deaf in this water. My legs stuck out when I put my chest under the water but hey, it still felt refreshing, feeling something other than a washcloth on my skin. 

A soft knock tore me from my thoughts. "Firefly? May I come in?" It was Dante

"Hun you know you can come in whenever." I laughed, grabbing a towel and wrapped it around my body under the water, hiding what modesty I still had. The door opened and his medium frame came into view, probably no taller than 5'10 and 190lbs... He looked tired, sunken eyes staring into my soul, his now longer hair disheveled like he'd been playing with it. 

"Come talk to mama." I gestured to the space next to the tub and smiled. 

"I'm leaving soon mom..." His voice quiet, "My brother... he needs me and I need help..." 

"Never apologize for putting yourself first... Its what I taught you." 

"I know... but... I'm scared..." He sighed, intently staring at the cracked tiles at his feet. 

"I know... I know Baby..." I sighed, grabbing his good hand and caressing it with my thumb. "But I will always welcome you home with open arms. No matter how long you're gone." 

Silent tears fell, "Birdman already left..." He hiccupped

"Without saying goodbye?" 

"Yeah... some car came and picked him up.." 

"Hm.." A low rumble came from my chest, "Its okay Baby, he's probably just hurt.." I trailed off 

Dante stood up, sighing and wiping his eyes. "I promise I'll come back, and write, all the time, you'll get sick of my letters you know." He rambled on and on and all I could do is laugh. 

"I will never get bored of you hun." 

"Thanks mom..." He smiled, taking his leave before saying anything else. 

Heavy bootsteps echoed. 

"S-sir Firefly is still in there, you can't just!" The door swung open with a thud, the boots grew closer as Ghost's frame came into my view, Soap not far behind. 

"Firefly." Ghost sighed. "What the hell are you doing?" His eyes traveled my body as I sat befuddled that these two were in here. 

"Well what does it look like Lt? I'm taking a girly bubble bath." I scoffed