Chapter 5

---------------------Ember's POV---------------------

A few weeks had passed since our party, Omari had left, Dante had gone back to his brother, and I was still in Credenhill. 

Curled up on the rec room couch I had my nose in a book, my earbuds ringing 'This Side of Paradise' by Coyote Theory. The thick spine of the book sat comfortably in my hand, my legs bent across the couch. My hair fell across my shoulder in a thick braid, it felt good to be taking showers and baths, even if I still had to wrap my cast in like 25 layers of plastic wrap and plastic bags. 

I was so engrossed with my book I didn't hear Gaz and Price come in and try talking to me. Gaz gently lifted my legs and put them over his lap as he sat down. Scared the shit out of me at first... I removed my earbud and smiled at him, offering the now removed one. 
"What're you listening to?" 

"Gonna listen aren't cha?" I laughed, watching his toned shoulders shrug and take the little piece from me. "How was your run hun?" I tilted my head 

"Eh... could've been better." He sighed, contently listening to my music, his hand making its way up to my shin. 

"That good?" 

"Hm.." He grunted, Price smiled from the recliner as he put on Naked and Afraid, so glad I put my Discovery+ on the TV. 

"He couldn't finish the last mile. Twisted his ankle something bad." Price chuckled and tossed a spare water bottle at Gaz, hitting him in the head. 

"Oi! What the hell was that for??" 

"Drink. Bloody idiot..." 

I couldn't help but laugh, I loved sitting with these two. Gaz started rubbing my good foot and chuckling, "Em, you ever think about going back home? Living out one of those romance books you read so much?" 

I sighed, smiling sadly. "No... the states don't have much left for me." 

"Why do you say that?" Price perked up, eyes still fixated on the tv screen. 

I thought deeply... Could I tell them? Eh fuck it... "My family and I are no contact, abandoned me after I joined the Army. Wanted nothing to do with me, dropped out of college after the first semester and enlisted right away. Climbed the ranks quickly, made it into Delta Force..." I trailed off, my eyes fixated on the same sentence over and over... Gaz and Price were silently listening, the low droning of the TV in the background. 

"Always thought I'd die alone.. When you found me in that concrete hell hole I was resigned to that I was dying. No one to come to my funeral, no one who cared.." Tears streaking my cheeks silently. Gaz's grip on my calf tightening slightly. 

"I'm sorry Ember..." Gaz sighed.

"Your home could be here you know.. Here in Credenhill until you figure it out. Mission has been put on hold while we investigate why your team was taken, and where they moved the cargo." Price sighed, knowing that being at square one was not ideal.. Hell we all knew it. 

"Thanks guys.." I smiled, moving on from the sentence, stealing Gaz's water and taking a long sip.. steamy book. 

 We all sat there, in a comfortable silence. The low hum of the fridge soothing our nerves as we watched the show Price put on. No idea why he liked it so much... Boobs maybe? Idk.. Two hulking figures slowly made their way into the rec room, covered in sweat. 

"Hey! How was the run boys?" Soap beamed at the other two men. 

"Gaz got hurt, I out ran him, you know... the usual." Price chuckled. "How was weights today?"