Chapter 23

----Ghosts POV----

The coordinates lead us to the US. Somewhere in the chunk error that is Ohio... The states were beautiful, I could see why Ember loved it here...

Even if it was Ohio..

"Ghost. Focus." Price urged, we were doing recon on several US Army soldiers on leave. They were close with Shepherd, they would lead us to Ember. If they wanted to or not.

"Roger Price." I sighed, focusing on the cup in front of me.

After what felt like hours they finally started to move. They walked down the street as the sun was setting. Soap and Gaz began to trail them, we blended in well, even with my black balaclava. The blood pounded in my ears as we followed behind the other two men, this was it. We were getting closer to Ember.

When we finally cornered them in the street they were reluctant at first... But I'm sure the pistol in their back gave them the motivation to get moving.

Once we were back at the house it began. The questioning, the threats, anything to get to Ember. They were clueless though... Dead end, until one of them let slip that Hound had been ordered to deliver a package to Shepherd himself before going radio silence.

"What the hell was in that package." Price seethed, cigar ash falling slowly.

"No idea!! Swear!!" The Ohian screamed, terrified.

"Well you better get an idea." He sighed, turning his back to the man. "Ghost I'm going to call Laswell. Keep an eye on our guest."

"Copy."

I stood there, watching the man in the chair. He shifted uncomfortably under my gaze. "I don't know what the package was.. All I know is that it was never delivered." He cried.

"Mhm. Likely."

"It's true!"

"Doubtful."

"What do you want?? I'll give you whatever you want just let me go!"

Begging? Pathetic.

"Ember."

"Ember?"

"Yes. That's what I want. Then you can go."

"Who is Ember??"

"Hm. Guess you're not leaving then are you?" I huffed, crossing my arms and leaning against the wall. My mind hasn't stopped racing since that day in the cabin. How frantic she looked, like a cornered animal. We all knew it was the right decision, it would give us the chance to track down why Shepherd was doing this. However, what was the cost of this? I knew Ember was selfless but still.. Willingly doing that seemed reckless to me more like.

"Ghost." Price found his way back into the room.

"Hm." I grunted.

"Laswell has positive ID on the 'package' that was supposed to go to Shepherd.

"It's Ember. Isn't it?"

All he could do is nod. We all knew that Shepherd would find her sooner or later, but we had to be the ones to find her first.

"Where?"

"Montana. We leave at 0430." We never had to say much, Price knew what I was thinking most of the time anyway.

"Hm." I nodded, turning my attention to the man again. "What do we do with him."

"Turn him loose. Either he survives or doesn't."

"Copy Price." I took the knife from its holster and cut the ropes off, throwing him outside without another word.

We were close to getting her back. In what condition I have no idea.