Chapter 13

"To my dear friend Ember (Firefly) Lennon, 

I know it has been sometime since we have seen each other, I'm sorry for leaving so abruptly. I will be returning to the 141, to you, in 3 months. Please wait for me, don't let those Brits poison your mind. Remember your loyalty to us, to your country, to me. They are NOT to be trusted, I know things I can't tell you. Just know, Shepherd, is exactly like his namesake. He is our Shepherd. 

Forever yours, 

Ajax (Birdman) Ryder"  

I read the letter over and over. It didn't make sense, how could I not trust the 141? They had become my family.. Pushing back from my desk I sighed, I couldn't hide this from them.. They'd knew something was up. Grabbing the letter from Ajax I walked into the rec room. 

"Guys?" I peered in, eyes falling onto the team in front of me. 

"Hey Em whats up?" Soap smiled, everyone turning to meet my gaze.

"I got this weird letter from Birdman.." I held the letter up and handed it to Soap, who eagerly had his hand out. After Gaz had read it, Price grabbed it, reading it over and over. His eyes grew dark. 

"Does anyone else know about this?" 

"No sir." I retorted. 

"Keep it that way. Burn this." Price took a picture of it with his phone.

"Price? What do you make of it?" Gaz looked at him. 

"I think that Ajax isn't to be trusted. Something isn't right..." Price's eyes fixated on the paper I took from him. "Ember I understand if you feel conflicted. Your country, your team. You've only known us a short time." 

"Sir with all due respect, please shut the fuck up." I laughed. 

"What?" Everyone's eyes peered into me 

"Fuck that, you are my family." My eyes met Ghosts, "All of you.. Ajax is not to be trusted, while we can pretend that we trust him I know somethings up. He hasn't been the same since Russia. Since Korvak." 

"Steamin Bloody Jesus..." Soap sighed, our eyes met "You'd be willin to throw all that away?" 

"Throw what away hun? A fantasy that somehow the states would save me? That one day my family would love me? Fuck that you damn Scott... I was assigned here to aid you, I answer to Price. I answer to my family." I nodded, smiling at the group of guys. Ghost just nodded in response. 

"Well then... we need to talk about what to do then." Soap smiled, standing up and pulling me into a hug. Burying my face into his shoulder I smiled, the pain in my heart melting. This is what a family was supposed to be.. I wish I had known sooner. 

We all discussed plans about how to handle Ajax once he returned, beer and bourbon flowing through our conversations. Eventually it turned into sharing war stories and discussing plans for the future, if any of us saw it. 

"...And then I'll settle down in Wales hopefully. Right on the ocean." Gaz had finished his long winded explanation of how he'd settle down with someone. How we got here I'm not even sure, all I know is that when the booze was flowing with us we all got sappy. We all knew we probably were lifers, people who would never have a normal life. 

"Well Gaz that's beautiful... But I still think Prices French Polynesian ending with many women and an unlimited amount of Woodford Reserve." I giggled, leaning into the man next to me. 

"Ghost, how would you spend the rest of your life if you ever got out?" Soap smiled, looking down at my head resting on his shoulder, a bottle of cheap whiskey to my lips