Epilogue 2

-----Simons POV----

Her hair smelled like lavender.. The way she curled into my chest at night after a long day made my heart soar.

It was a foreign feeling. The mundane, the quiet. I mean.. We went from blood thirsty killers, some of the most dangerous people; to people who hosted friends on Fridays when I was home.

I gently stroked her hair, running it through her short hair as she slept. Ember looked so peaceful... Pressing my lips to her forehead I felt her move slightly, a soft groan coming from her as she nuzzled further into me.

This is how most nights went when I was home, I don't sleep much.. Ember neither but when she sleeps I do my best to not wake her.

It'd been years since we were discharged, but that didn't stop the nightmares. I couldn't stop seeing Johnny, I couldn't help but think he's up there hating me. The problem is.. I know that's not the case. He would probably be more upset that I would even think that.

"Simon..." Ember cooed softly, her hand gently reaching up and caressing my jaw.

"Yes..? My little firefly what are you doing awake?" I asked, gently caressing the back of her head.

"You're awake.."

"Well.. Yes I am."

"Why...? Nightmares again?"

"Yeah..."

"Hm.. Will you at least try?" 

How could I say no.. When she looks at me with those beautiful auburn eyes all I can do is pull her closer. Kiss the top of her head and smile.

"Okay sweetheart.. Just for you.." I murmured against her hair. Earning a soft, almost purr from her.

"Good boy.." She teased back, closing her eyes again. Watching her nuzzle into my chest again I laughed a little.

I loved this woman.. Not for her looks or her smile, but for her. For the moments like this. She accepted me as I was, flaws, broken bits. Everything.

It was strange.. Laying here. I never thought I'd get the moments like this, these.. Movie like scenes. Life moves so fast that I often forget to hold her a little tighter sometimes.

I stared at the ceiling fan, watching it spin in circles. The light breeze from the open window making the curtains flap ever so slowly in the wind. I turned my head and looked out the window, the stars were beautiful. Dotting the sky, I liked to think Johnny liked being among them. God knows he's causing chaos in whatever pit of hell he found.

Finally, I closed my eyes. Ember was right.. It was late. What little sleep I could get I needed.

-------

I was in a field, flowers everywhere. Reds and oranges around as I sat there.

"Oi. You look like shit LT." A voice called from behind me, bolting up, I was stunned.

"Johnny..?" I whispered.

"In the spectral form." He chuckled.

"But.. How?"

"Simple, I'm never far dumbass."

"Johnny I'm.. I am so-"

"Sorry? I know. But you don't have to be." He smiled, walking over to me and grasping my shoulder.

His hand was warm...

"Johnny I.. I got you killed."

"Did you now? Last I remember, I pushed you out of the way."