Chapter 19

----Embers POV----

As the world felt heavy on my shoulders I felt every ounce of regret I had. Not telling my parents I loved them, letting them abandon me, allowing myself to feel like this.

The world was caving, and I had to protect my new family. No matter what had happened in the past I knew I had to do whatever it took to make sure they were okay. Everyone could turn against me, everything could fizzle and burn. But as long as the 141 was safe and happy, I couldn't give two fucks about what happened. 

"Ember?" Dr. Aiden hummed, pulling my attention off my breaking shoulders. 

"Hm.. Sorry Dr.. I'm here." 

"I asked how you were feeling.." His eyes full of concern 

"I'm... not okay. If I'm honest." 

"Well that.." Aiden was taken aback. "That was really good! Why?" 

"Well now that I know Messier is working for Shepherd, and that he has an accomplice that he doesn't even know about... I'm scared. Scared of what they can do to us, the team. I have no idea how I can protect everyone.." The skin around my fingers looked so interesting.. 

"Who says you need to protect everyone?" 

My head snapped up, looking at him with a wild confusion. "What do you mean?" 

"Why do you need to protect everyone?" 

"Because that's my job?" Tears pooled in the corners of my eyes. 

"Why is it your job? What makes you think that?" 

"Because..." 

"Does this have to do with your parents?" 

"Why would this have anything to do with them." I seethed, hot drops cascading down my cheeks. 

"You feel as if they never loved you no? That they never protected you?" 

"This has nothing to do with them Aiden." 

"I think it does... I'd like to explore this more." 

"Fine. You want my life story? Want to read my book?" 

"No... not yet. Tell me about your mother. When is the last time you talked to her?" Aiden leaned back into his chair, crossing one leg over another. 

"When I told her I was enlisting." When did my finger start bleeding...? 

"How was that interaction?" 

"Horrid. Screaming, I slept in my car until I had to leave." 

"I see... What about your father?" The pen echoed in the room as I sat in a stunned silence. 

"He... He chose my mom." 

'Little Emmy... I will always love you. Daddy will always protect you.' His voices shattered in my mind, lava fell from my eyes as I choked back sobs. 

"That thought, right there. What was that?" Aiden leaned forward, handing me some tissues for my now dripping finger. 

"My dad... Saying how'd he always love and protect me..." Pounding on the door drew both our attention from each other and the moment. 

"Ember as we wrap up today I'd like you to do more journaling, you're doing good but... We need to go deeper. Talk about one of your sisters next time, and we will discuss it. You may enter now." 

The door opened slowly as Price sauntered in, his eyes downcast. "I didn't hear much doc, if that's what you're worried about." 

"Not at all Captain, she is all good."