Epilogue 1

---Embers POV, 6 Months Later, 11-12-2023 ---

I tossed and turned in the sea of blankets and pillows that surrounded me. The howling of wind and snow echoed outside the room as the blizzard raged on. I looked at the clock, 0210... Sitting up I let my toes sink into the plush carpet that lined the bed, my bare legs getting nipped by cold air.

I heard a soft thud in the other room, no one else was supposed to be here. Grabbing the nearest blunt object I could, a metal water bottle, and kept it at the ready. Walking slowly into the room, slinking by as I silently crept around the corner. Keeping low to the ground as I stuck to the shadows. I didn't even hear the figure behind me creep up.

"As quiet as you are, you know I'd find you anywhere love.. I just didn't expect you on the floor for me." A gruff voice cooed from behind me, wrapping me in a tight embrace and picking me up.

"Simon!" I yelped, laughing as I relaxed into his grip. "You scared the piss outta me..."

"I'm sorry love.. I was just using the restroom."

"I know I know I just.."

"I know.. I'm here though." He pressed his lips onto the nape of my neck, whispering softly into my skin. "You have another nightmare..?"

"Mhm.. I thought you had died.."

"Well I'm obviously right here." Simon laughed, carrying me back into the bed, wrapping his arm around my waist. Pulling my face into his chest as he stroked my hair. Looking deeply into his eyes, I could get lost in them.

Since we rekindled, he hardly wears his balaclava around me when we are alone. He wears it out in public still, but only on bad days does he wear it around me. I will never get used to his face.. But every moment I see it I cherish it like it would be the last. We still have a habit of looking over our shoulder, not sure if that will ever be something we won't do...

"Firefly?" He whispered, "You're staring again."

"I can't help it... You are so handsome, I can't believe that I get to see you so freely now."

"Hm. It's been close to six months, yet every time you see me you act like it's the last."

"Because I have no idea what the next day holds.." I whine, running my hand up his shirt and caressing his chest.

"I know.. But I'm here." He held me close to him.

It was hard to let go of the military, and it was even harder to get accustom to civilian life. However, Simon made it easier and easier every day.

We both had jobs we loved, Simon was a disaster response specialist. He had to travel a lot for work, and it wasn't always the safest for him, but he loved his job. Me? I was a freelance photographer. Weddings, funerals, boudoir. I had my own studio for editing and private sessions and special requests. We were lucky enough to find our passions, on top of our luck with having each other I'm afraid we'd run out of it..

This was one of the rare times we had time off together, so we flew to Ålesund, Norway for the week. Although it was bitter cold we didn't mind, we didn't plan of leaving the hotel very often anyway. We had a beautiful view of the ocean, a small cabin to ourselves, and nothing but each other and time.

I had resigned to the fact that maybe we would never have enough time. All the time in the world and we would never have enough. I could live a thousand lives with him and it'd never be enough.

The guilt was also heavy on our watches. We both felt responsible for living for Johnny... We struggled so much in letting him go, Simon especially. I know he wanted to live for Johnny, remember him and carry a torch for him everywhere. Its why he does what he does, continuing to help people and aid them in their times of need.