Chapter 31

----Embers POV----

It was hot. Muggy. Sticky. Fuck I hated it. My shirt clung tightly to me as Gaz, Price and I sat at the café. Observing the people around us in the patio Price sipped his Coconut water, sighing deeply he looked at his phone again. 3rd time in 15 minutes... Yeah, we were worried to say the least.

Recon was supposed to be the easy part. They were supposed to call at 1545, sure it was 1530 but still... I was worried. We were all worried.

Feeling all of the Cubans eyes on us was uncomfortable, we were outsiders, and I was American. One wrong move and the entire mission is fucked. Once Soap and Ghost were done with recon, Ajax, Scotty and I will go to the compound. 

"So... Coconut water?" Gaz asked, watching Price. His attempt at lightning a sour mood.

"Yes. Coconut water." 

"Not Coke and a water...?" 

"No Kyle. Not Coke and a water." 

"Yes sir.." 

I stifled a laugh, smiling at the two men. The blistering heat was something the three of us agreed was fucked. Shepherd hated the cold, well this is the furthest from the cold you could get. My jeans felt stiff, the sweat between my skin and the fabric becoming itchy.

Thoughts raced in my mind. Was Simon okay? Was Soap okay? What were they seeing? Adrenaline coursed through my veins, not enough to numb but enough to raise my anxiety.

Prices phone went off, picking it up he scowled intensely at it. Observing the message on it. 

"We're going. They're done." He stood up in a hurry. Motioning us to follow him to the car where Scotty and Ajax were waiting. 

"They done?" Scotty asked

"Mhm." Price nodded. "They're waiting for us on the ridge next to the compound."

"Hm. Lets go."

"Firefly." Price called to me.

"Yes sir."

"You're on point. Lets get this done yeah?" He smiled at me, nodding.

"Sir yes sir. I won't let you down!"

The drive was short, maybe only an hour and a half to the rendezvous point. Smells of the ocean and tobacco circled the car as Price smoked his cigar. The clear blue sky being kissed with shades of  the sun started to set, clouds with silver linings painted in beautiful oranges.

By the time we reached rendezvous  point the sun was almost completely set. Simons figure illuminated slightly in the last glow of it. Soap standing next to him, his entire right side engulfed in the suns final kiss before setting.

"You know... If this was our last sunset together, I think I'd be happy with that." Soap said as I walked between the two men, turning and watching as the sun dipped.

"Johnny. What the fuck?" Ghost said, looking at him confused. "Why say that of all things?"

"Yeah Johnny. You two are going to have to live forever." I placed my hands on my hips, smiling broadly as the night sky enveloped us.

"If you existential bitches are done. We have a mission to complete." Gaz smiled, nodding toward the edge of the mountain. Looking down at the lit compound, a somber feeling palpable between the five of us.

"So he's in there?" I asked, melting into the serious person I needed to be.

"Yup. Small building on the East side." Ghost added.