Chapter 28

----Embers POV----

To be on the right side of history we can't always be good, at least in the eyes of others.

To do good we also have to do some bad, and we always knew this, its the risk we take doing what we do.

To be bad means we have to be good. Does that make sense? I hope it does...

The journal I was writing in echoed thoughts I'd had since Scotty told me what really happened in Russia. My hand hurt from gripping the pen so hard.

I only wanted to do good, that's why we exist right? To do good, to bring good. So spread peace and do what we can to save those without their voice.

Staring at the full page I sighed, exhaustion hitting me. We had arrived at Credenhill in the early morning, before the sun kissed the sky for the first time even. Simon and I walked to my room in silence, I didn't want to be without him another night...

His soft snores echoed from the bed, clothed in his balaclava and boxer briefs only. I could watch his chest rise and fall like that forever.

I gently closed the notebook, standing up and crawling into the bed next to him. My hand met his covered jawline as I gently caressed him. I wanted nothing more than a peak at his face...

"I see your habit of waking dangerous men is still very much a problem." He grumbled, leaning into my hand.

"I see no danger..." I whispered, pressing my nose onto his covered one. "Just a handsome man who needs more sleep."

"Hm. I could say the same to you Firefly."

"Why do you still call me that?"

"What? Firefly?"

"Mhm.."

He sighed, shifting onto his back and staring at the ceiling. "Because you light up the dark. Even just a little. Its comforting."

My cheeks burned a soft red as I crawled between his arm and torso. "I like it when you call me that..."

"Good."

I giggled, contently drawing circles on chest.

0235.. Late, and early.

"When is the briefing?" I asked.

"Forgetful as ever my little Firefly..." He laughed, pressing his covered lips into my hair. "0630. We have time."

"I guess we do.."

"Not for that. Sleep. God knows you need it." He huffed.

"Meanie... I need a smoke before, I'll be back-"

"Im coming with." He cut me off.

"Fine, but I'm not giving you more than one tonight. I need a PX run."

"Yeah yeah you say that."

"And mean it!" I laughed, standing up and pulling my hair into a ponytail. Simon chuckled lowly as he pushed himself off the bed, looking up at me as I moved to stand between his legs. Placing my hands on either side of his face I smiled, his gruff eyes softening a little as he placed his hands on my hips. 

"You really are handsome... Even with the mask on I can tell." I whisper, toying with the seam. 

"You're easy on the eyes too.." He sighed. 

"You're still keeping me at bay..." 

"Can't help it." 

"I know.."