Chapter 20

----Embers POV----

My feet hit the hard ground with a soft thud. The morning jog I was on filled my lungs with crisp, sharp air. Looking towards the skyline I could see the sun rising, the streaks of orange and yellow spreading across the gentle mist infront of me.

There were a few people jogging at this hour, many I didn't recognize. I could see Johnny with Price, the two of them heading towards me.

"Well well... You'd never have guessed you were injured not 4 months ago." Price laughed, huffing slightly.

"Hey Price! Soap.." I smiled at him, nodding as he stood there watching me. "Thank you Price, its been a long long journey."

"As much as I know you are capable.. You know we can't be alone right now. Come finish your run with us." Price encouraged.

"Are you sure? Would I be hindering you at all?"

"No lass. We'd love to have you." Soap smiled, offering the space next to him.

"If you insist.." A broad smile picked at my lips, as I turned to follow the two men I found their company something special.

We mostly jogged in silence, but it wasn't awkward. It was comfortable, nice even. Even if my thoughts were plagued by the man we kept in an isolated room, what would happen if it was found we had him.. Everything felt heavy. Soap turned and checked on me every once and awhile, my subtle nods of reassurance usually did the trick to sooth him.

In the distance I saw a large man, it wasn't Ghost.. Soap and Price we're here, and Gaz wasn't that big...

"Cap." I called, stopping suddenly.

"Ember?" Price's voice breathy.

"Do you know that man there?" I tried to hide my obvious staring and gesturing.

"No, but then again we don't know everyone here."

"Price she's got a point.. I think we'd recognize anyone who looked like that." Johnny chimed in, boxing me from the looming figures view.

"He's looking for something." I whispered, watching the man scan the base from the top of the small hill he was on.

"You see that too lass?"

"Mhm.. I think we should get inside."

"Good idea you two.. Lets go." Price ushered us quickly back to the barracks, ensuring Soap and I were in front. Walking into the rec room we saw Gaz and Ghost sitting on the couch, watching some show I didn't know.

"Ghost, do you know a tall man?" Price inquired, grabbing a water off the table.

"You're gonna need to be more specific sir. I know a lot of people." Sarcasm dripped from his voice.

"Tall tall, maybe 6'7? Broad but not buff."

"Nope. Cant say I do." Ghost shrugged.

"Gaz?" Price glanced at him.

"No, sorry Captain.. Why are you asking?" Gaz raised an eyebrow at us.

Walking behind the couch I made grabbed a water bottle, "There's someone scanning the base. Big motherfucker.."

"Well I'm sure its nothing." Ghost said, glancing over his shoulder and my huffing figure.

"Maybe... We should ask Frenchie." Water dripped down my mouth.

"Why him? He doesn't know shit." Soap sighed

"Let me try. I think he knows more than he's letting on." I looked at the ground, small drops of water staining the tile.