Grandfather?

Maia, Theed, Naboo

This was bad. This was so fucking bad. The moment I heard Kylo's breathing switch, I practically ran out the door, not even bothering to change.

I walked mindlessly in the quiet, elegant district before eventually hailing a cab to the tomb of the queen from the book. The moment the transport was gone and I was sure I was alone, I fell to my knees and vomited on the grass.

Kylo Ren was my enemy. He was evil. I've had to read every report sent by him and about him for a year. They were the stuff from nightmares. He destroyed a city just two days ago!

And I'd crumbled for him.

Of course I had noticed his curiosity brewing, but I would have never guessed it would come to this.

What could he possibly see in me? It was like I had been drugged, drained of all resolve as he brought me to euphoria.

After a few minutes, I pushed myself to my feet and went to the tomb of Queen Amidala. I gazed up at the stone cut out of her, wondering what the hell I was doing there.

She appeared to be staring down at me, but it didn't feel weird. She was pretty but seemed so strong. She even seemed oddly familiar, like I was sitting quietly with an old friend. I didn't know what it would be like to fall in love, but I knew the woman had once known. The book said she had fallen in love, that she was head over heels for a man. Whoever he had been, he must have been a good person.

Was Kylo a good person? The answer was no. But he had been good to me. He had been gentle, supportive even. He said I was beautiful. He'd made me feel like I was the only thing he cared about.

Such a ridiculous thought.

Soon, I began to feel weary, my thoughts running in the same circles, and dropped to the bench.

It was then, when I was almost asleep, that a piece clicked into place about Amidala. It had listed her children, but I knew who Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa's father was. How could I have forgotten?

I drifted off, wondering how a woman so incredible could fall for someone so dark.

———

"Ma'am?"

I opened my eyes, exhaustion consuming me—then jumped when I saw an ancient lady leaning over me.

"Oh good, you're alive." She backed up, so I pushed myself to an upright position, trying to blink myself awake. This was the second time in a row I'd been yanked from sleep too soon, and I was ready to tell the galaxy to fuck off.

"Who are you?" I asked in a groggy voice, finally understanding where I was. She was lucky I didn't have any weapons on me; instinct told me to attack the moment I woke up to an unfamiliar voice in an unfamiliar place.

"I was about to ask you the same thing."

"My name is Maia," I muttered, feeling drained. I didn't register her as a threat, so I didn't waste the energy analyzing her—though I still took stock of my surroundings, a habit that I would likely never lose.

"Hello, Maia. What are you doing here?"

"I came to Naboo with Kylo Ren for my mother's funeral." I don't know why I said that. It wasn't actually a good thing, and if Naboo wasn't so strict on their neutrality, we probably wouldn't even be there. But her eyes flicked up to the statue and back at me.

"What?" I asked when she squinted at me, a prickle running down my neck.

"Kylo Ren, you say?"

"Yeah. He's going to be looking for me soon." I should probably get up.