The Will of the Force

Luke

I watched my nephew and now niece run out at the speed of light, his Knights trailing after. I didn't know what had happened, but I knew millions had perished. My mind flashed to old Ben Kenobi when he felt the destruction of Alderaan, and wished like hell I wasn't feeling it again, so many years later.

But Han, who was not disturbed through the Force, had picked up the datapad and began reading.

"Resistance member," he muttered to himself. "Uh-oh," he said a moment later in a tone I did not like.

But then I sensed Kylo's panic and ran out the door like the others. It took me mere seconds to reach the landing pad and locate the two running across the permacrete, their eyes on the sky.

I followed their gaze as I ran, but when I saw what they were looking at, I came to a dead stop, throwing my hands into the air as I tried to grip onto the falling ship in the Force. Kylo was only a second behind me, and Maia turned to look at the now-stopped Kylo. In the back of my mind, I was proud of how quickly she comprehended what he was trying to do, and mimicking his motions.

Three people were on that ship, and Maia must have realized what I had: one was slipping away, fast.

"You must calm yourself, Maia!" I shouted, for I could feel her emotions brewing like a storm.

Kylo's sudden roar tried to pull me from my focus, but I gave it everything I had. The ship's trajectory was not anywhere near us, but in an attempt to give us more time, I tried pulling it toward us.

It did little, but a couple of seconds after I began, I felt another person joining us in the Force—my sister. Oh, how good it felt to sense her again—but I snapped my mind back to the task.

As it closed in, I heard the Falcon turn on, and my own shouts began to echo with Kylo's.

I closed my eyes as the ship disappeared, then snapped my head up as the Falcon began to lift to my right. I ran to jump on the ramp and turned to grasp Maia's hand as she and Kylo jumped too.

"Kuruk is alive," Kylo said, mostly to Maia. She nodded, her eyes locked on the ramp, ready to jump at any time.

And we jumped together, the three of us, above a panicked marketplace. Kylo ripped the shuttle open and I worked to help get the metal away. Maia barely waited, jumping into the shuttle the first chance she saw, Kylo right behind.

I felt Maia's pain, but didn't know what had further upset her. I did, however, know that Kylo had an actual physical reaction to her pain—as he had on Naboo. As Han had said Maia had to Kylo losing his hand.

And suddenly, standing there amid chaos, it all pieced together like an intricate puzzle.

They were a dyad in the Force. Though they could survive without one another, it was as if, in the Force, they were connected in a tangible way.

And that was not just rare—it was powerful. Their powers could, quite literally, feed off one another, growing stronger than a single entity could ever be. A closed circuit Force loop. Unlimited power.

Palpatine did not know this, I was sure. He would have called to Kylo and Maia both, but he had excluded Kylo. Perhaps he had a growing suspicion now, but Maia's suggestion that Palpatine was conducting their bond was wrong.

He didn't create this. If I had to guess, I would say the Force created them in response to the extreme disruption to both sides of the Force in recent history. But I was far from an expert.

Regardless, Palpatine likely planned for them to come together, and he wanted them at odds. He wanted one to kill the other, a terrible tragedy, like my mother's.