Death

Kylo, the Harbinger, three hours until take-off

"I think we will die today," Maia said softly. My heart seemed to stop, my chest tight. Her eyes finally met mine, and I could not tell if she was scared of the thought. I rolled over in her large, soft bed and straddled her, eventually shifting hair off her face. I had no words for her, as I couldn't help but think the same thing. A part of me was screaming to lock her up somewhere so she could not be lost with me, but I knew it was not the right thing to do.

"Please don't die without me," she whispered, clearly close to tears. "I can't live without you," her voice cracked and the first tear fell, breaking me down completely. I felt the burning of tears forming behind my own eyes.

The truth was, I felt the exact same. I would rather not live at all than live without her.

I gripped her face and stared into her gorgeous, silvery blue eyes, and I did not lie to her. I did not tell her everything would be okay. "Whatever happens today, happens to us both. Okay?"

She nodded so sweetly. I knew that within the next hour, she would be standing tall in front of people of all sorts, commanding their attention. I could almost see the blue holos surrounding her, reflecting off her white uniform. But here, she was vulnerable.

"I love you, Maia."

"I love you too, Kylo," she whispered before finally lifting her head enough to kiss me.

———

Maia, one hour until take-off

I walked onto the bridge of my flagship and stepped into place. The holodevice scanned me, verifying my identity, then started up.

An hour earlier, I stood before military leaders of all sorts as Kylo and I finalized the strategy, combing through the fine details. Now, I was broadcasting to every First Order and Resistance ship. Unfortunately, the New Republic had not agreed to help. I was not going to ask for their help again, but I hoped they were listening.

I felt Kylo's eyes on me, but I did not acknowledge him.

I didn't feel fear anymore.

I wasn't sure I felt anything. I just wanted to be done with it.

Kylo had told me of a phrase passed down through the recent generations of Jedi, 'do, or do not, there is no try."

I had been sure, at the time, something had been lost or misspoken by the time it reached me. But I understood now that the lesson was not about simple matters like manipulating water or training young Jedi—it was a mindset.

You didn't try. You either succeeded, or you failed. Put into context, it's all or nothing. There are no alternatives, no second chances. Not here.

We either defeat what remains of Palpatine, or we die.

I did not wish to die, and I definitely did not want Kylo to die. But we were not meant to live a normal life. Whatever happened today was likely our entire purpose in life.

And life has been rather exhausting. The only peace I've ever experienced has been with Kylo.

I wanted to look at him, to search for that peace in the way he gazed at me. But I was terrified I wouldn't find it.

"Today is not about politics. It is not about us as individuals or our institutions. We are not fighting for the Jedi, and we are not fighting a war. There will be no subsequent battles because today, we are bringing justice. Justice for those lost in the Clone Wars, for those who suffered during the reign of the Empire, and for Naboo. Today we fight with the power of all who came before us, and all who still stand. We fight with the strength of the Jedi, but the will of the people. We fight as one, because what happened to Naboo, could be all our fates if we fail. To those of you not fighting, I urge you to trust in the Force, and prepare for what tomorrow will bring."