Admiral Maia

Maia, three days later, her private office aboard the RSD Finalizer

I was in a meeting with Alaric the morning we were to leave. I didn't love leaving my crew—the third time this week—but if there was anyone I'd choose to leave in charge, it was him.

He was two years older than me, and probably the most flamboyant person in the Order. I've seen him skip before. But like me, he was familiar with shutting his personality off completely. Duty came before everything, even ourselves. He had gladly accepted an offer to join the Order at age eleven. He's as hard an officer as most of us. But there was a gentle side to him that made me feel okay with being myself around him too—or, as much of myself as there was, anyway.

My mind flashed to Kylo. It was unsettling how easy it was to be around him. It wasn't effortless; I had to try to remain even and calm. I actually wanted to laugh, to joke with him. I even wanted to talk to him. Nobody has seen me cry since I was maybe twelve—until Kylo trailed into my quarters after me.

My stomach flipped. I looked up at the ceiling, and a moment later Kylo entered, causing Alaric to stand.

"Commander."

I nodded. "Commander," I said lightly. We hadn't been alone since returning from Naboo. Not that I was sure I wanted to be. He had been silently supportive while Mother's will was read, and let me sit in silence on the way home—though I thought he wanted to talk, his mask repeatedly moving in my direction before distracting himself with his silencer design.

"The general has provided us with transportation."

"Why?" I asked, confused. I was planning on taking my ship with the Finalizer trailing behind.

Alaric answered. "Likely because the general bringing you there will look different than you showing up on your own."

I raised an eyebrow at him and noticed Kylo's head shift slightly to eye him as well. "Politics," I grumbled ruefully before returning my gaze to the standing, dark figure.

"When do we leave?"

"When you are ready."

"Ah. I suppose I am as ready as I'll ever be." I stood up and stretched, having sat for far too long. "I need to grab my bag."

"I've already had it taken care of."

I cocked my head at him, putting a hand on my waist. "That's the second time you've had someone in my quarters."

"Third." I shook my head at his blunt response but kept my face neutral.

"Do I want to know?"

"Likely not."

I glanced at Alaric, who looked ever so slightly amused with me.

"Alright, I don't then. Let's roll."

I nodded at Alaric and led the commander out.

"Let's roll?" he muttered next to me when we fell into step together.

I had to resist the urge to smile. "Let us join together to leave this ship."

He was quiet and did not respond, but I thought he was amused. Not that I had any evidence to back that thought up. Perhaps, when his helmet was on, I simply filled in what I thought I wanted from him.

When we were walking across the hangar—and when he apparently decided we were out of earshot of anyone—his head turned slightly toward me. I ignored the way my heart seemed to speed up.

"If we did not have an escort, I would have likely bent you over on this trip."

"Excuse me?" I asked darkly, heat spreading throughout my core.