The Parents

Maia, Chandrila

I smiled at the pair standing at the top of the ramp of the Millennium Falcon and started walking up it, a little star struck by the old ship.

Balu sped ahead of me, likely to map the place out. I was not sure if that was what he did when he explored new places, but he certainly had curiosity in his programming. He always entered a room before me, even one he was familiar with, like our quarters.

I did not think Kylo got him to be my protector, but the little white ball of energy certainly appeared quite vigilant, and a bit defensive. Though he understood everything I said, I still did not know what he tried to communicate, except a few off times where his beeps seemed to have... emotions behind the digital sounds: a bee-oop I thought sounded sad, a quick, repetitive beep that was full of excitement.

Other than Kylo, Balu was my favorite 'person', bringing me a joy I hadn't ever experienced. That was the reason, I began to realize, that Kylo got him for me. Somehow, he had known a droid would be more than a tool to me, that he would become my friend.

"There she is!" Han's voice boomed out before I had reached them, his arms held high as if announcing someone great.

"Han," Leia said, her voice laced with a hesitant warning.

"What?" he asked with an offended expression, before his face showed understanding. "Oh, Leia, our son was wrong. We could always adopt her."

"Han," she tried again, this time her tone even darker.

"Oh, I'm kidding." I stood before the two, unsure what was happening between them, but amused by the way Han had so clearly irritated the woman who was always neutral, just by giving me a cheerful hello. It was certainly the happiest I'd seen him, though I didn't have much to go off of.

He focused back on me. "Does he know you're here?"

"Of course," I said simply. He hadn't seemed pleased by the fact, but hadn't argued. I just needed a little guidance.

Han nodded and turned to go deeper into the ship. "Let me guess, he said if you can get a treaty signed, he'd think about it. He's certainly humoring you, at least," he said as I followed behind.

"That isn't exactly what happened. Kylo instructed me to set up the meeting, then gave me two months to get it done." Their surprised expressions as they turned around made me grin slightly. They hadn't expected their son to want peace.

It was true Kylo would likely always lead a violent life, but the more I pondered our options, the more I understood Kylo was trying to push us down the right path regardless of difficulty or probability. I couldn't say it was the safest path; people would want to stop the peace, and I wouldn't put it past someone to blame me for his decision for peace. It wasn't the clearest path either: mistakes will be made, unexpected problems will not stop, even with peace. It would not benefit the dark side of the Force, nor the light.

Regardless, most of my life, I had trained for war, not diplomacy. And though Leia had found herself in war a time or two, she was taught diplomacy—and Han had enough life experience for the both of us. Which was why I was there.

"And the generals?"

I sighed. It was, to my displeasure, the biggest hurdle at the moment. It might be different if both Hux and Pryde didn't disagree with my objective; instead, it was two against one, with the two men also holding more official power. Kylo had yet to interject, which was fine. But it was, to put it simply, an uphill battle.

"In the end, Kylo's decision will overrule their opinions. But I believe I am to find a way to convince everyone involved, to limit enemies created."

"That's not possible," Han said with a dark chuckle.