Mother, Father

Kylo, Chandrila

Somehow, I'd actually convinced myself that Father would send the message and butt out. But as the Falcon appeared in the distance hours after I arrived, I realized how foolish that was. Leia would not bring anyone else, and Han would have never let her come alone. Vaguely, I wondered how long it had been since they even saw each other. Last I knew, Father was still a full-blown scoundrel.

I watched the ship grow closer, a wave of guilt rolling through me. The day I was sent the footage of Maia, not even three full months ago, I had been deep in my dark thoughts. The power I wanted felt so close, but Snoke did not deem me ready. He still didn't.

I wanted to kill him and take what I deserved—but there was still light in me that needed to be snuffed out before I would be strong enough.

Except, I felt powerful with Maia. Perhaps it was my quieted mind or my increased sleep, but I was more connected to the Force than I'd ever been. I felt calm and in control with the mere knowledge of her existence. I could meditate for an entire day—something I've never been able to do, not even close. Solutions came to me quicker; things I used to worry about felt less important. I've even advanced in my physical training, feeling faster, stronger, more flexible.

Thus, I did not know what to do anymore. Snoke and I spoke while I was on Kuat retrieving the Harbinger, and he wanted me back on Luke instead of 'playing soldier.' But I no longer wished to find him; what did it matter if he lived? He ran away, too guilty to face the galaxy anymore. Luke was an old, bitter man, hiding out somewhere no one would find him.

My chest tightened as I watched the ramp to the Falcon drop. When they stepped off and both looked at my belt before speaking, I sighed and pulled off my saber. It wasn't like I needed it to do damage; their hesitations were ridiculous. I tossed it up the ramp of Maia's ship, flinching when it crashed into something.

"What's that?" Father asked, the first to speak. He was looking at Maia's ship, likely aware I hadn't wished to damage it.

"An AD 2-3 Kiat."

"Kriff, it's nice," he said distantly, taking a step forward. It was almost brand new—her troops took excellent care of it for her—so I was vaguely surprised he liked it.

"It is not mine."

"Whose is it?" he asked, now bending down to look underneath it. He would enjoy flying it, I knew. I finally understood what she'd done to it on the way here—there are different hyperspace options that reduce safety but increase speed. It wasn't something we could safely transfer to a ship like the Harbinger, but at least the engine had been replicable. Between it and the dreadnaught, she could be anywhere in the galaxy twice as fast as anyone else. Father would be proud.

"Her name is Maia. It's what I need to talk to you about," I said, turning to my mother and deciding to just spit it out. "I don't know what to do," I said softly, my voice cracking under my mask. I grit my teeth at the sound.

Leia looked me over for a moment too long as Han returned to her side, the ship forgotten. I felt exposed, vulnerable. But I was terrified I would lose Maia, that I would push her away. I couldn't ask anyone else for advice. I was still suspicious of her intentions, but it seemed to hardly matter anymore. The way Maia looked at me though, it physically softened my heart. A year ago, I would have never stood here. But she was making me question everything I knew.

Finally, she let out a small sigh and shifted on her feet, her body not fully facing me. "I don't know what to tell you, Kylo. I know what I might tell Ben. But not you."

"Come on, Leia. He's our son."

"The advice has to do with love, something you cannot feel," she replied, still looking at me sideways. That hurt. She was right.