Uncle Luke

Kylo, the village Tuanul, on Jakku

I received a tip on my uncle almost two weeks ago, but never followed it, telling myself the tip would still be there. Jakku would still be there. The tiny settlement of lunatics claiming to be followers of the 'Church of the Force' would, more than likely, still be there.

And it was, all of it. Except, as I found who I was looking for, before I even asked my question, I knew I'd waited too long. The one thing I did want was no longer there—but it had been.

"Lor San Tekka. How unfortunate we meet again." The man stood near a small hut, looking old and, quite frankly, worthless to me. Something about the village, however, seemed... familiar.

"You're too late."

"Do you know where he is?"

"No." I sighed at his calm face, then let out a growl and reached out. His body flew to my outstretched palm, and I wrapped my hand tightly around his neck. The heartbeat I could feel through my glove was pumping far faster than his calm demeanor suggested.

"Where is it?"

He tried to shake his head. Rage bubbled up inside every part of me, strangling me.

Loosening my grip, I leaned in close, my mask almost touching his face.

"I must find my uncle, do you understand? I must find that temple."

"You're too late," he choked out. "They've had it for weeks."

I dropped him, pulled out my saber, and swiped the sand between us. I was prepared to unleash chaos, to destroy everything around me, including the damn zealot. It would feel liberating to release my fury.

Then, the smallest voice whispered, "hurry." I paused, then did a slow circle, looking for who could have said that.

Except, it had sounded like a child. Like the village itself, the voice felt familiar, like a tune I couldn't place.

It felt like slow motion as I finally turned back to San Tekka, who was watching me with unconcealed interest.

I needed to go to D'Qar to find out if they have found Luke. And unfortunately, killing this man and slaughtering this village—like I still wanted to do—would only make them less likely to help.

Using the Force, I tugged him up until he was standing in front of me. Sort of.

"Do you know of Admiral Maia?"

"I'm afraid I don't keep up with your erroneous military."

I dropped my voice low once more. "You should. Just know: the reason you live today is because of her."

"You think I owe your admiral a life debt, kid?" he said in mild disgust.

"No. You owe her dozens," I said, dropping him and gesturing around at his village.

I wanted to blame Maia for burning out my drive to find Luke—my drive to eliminate him—but I had no blame for her in my heart. The consequences were to my own actions.

I turned back to the command shuttle. "Search the village and arrest San Tekka for questioning. Then return to the Harbinger. I must complete my mission with my Knights from here."

I watched Phasma motion to her troops out of the corner of my eye.

"You are leaving when she is in possible danger?" She wasn't concerned, just curious. I assumed most people knew there was something going on between us at this point, but I was unfazed. Snoke likely already knew I would come.