Goodbye

Maia, the next morning

I woke up too early, around 0400, disappointed that he was not next to me. Rolling over, I was going to go back to sleep—but something did not feel right. After ignoring it for a moment, I finally pushed myself upright. When nothing was obviously wrong, I climbed to my feet.

My eyes were immediately drawn to a flash of white. On a chest to my right was a piece of paper, the old Rebel pin on top.

Oh, no. My heart slammed into my throat as I stepped forward, anticipating the blow, knowing it was going to hurt worse than any physical pain ever could.

The same handwriting that once told me to put a sex toy inside me, that had sent pleasure sparks down my spine, now taunted me.

Maia, I must spend some time away. I will be continuing my search for Luke with my Knights and the Finalizer. I'm sorry.

A tear slipped down my cheek—my heart actually felt like it was breaking. Had I done something wrong? I thought we'd be okay after last night. Was he leaving me for good? He didn't even sign it. Not a 'K,' nothing.

Life had become so much more tolerable with him.

He was my best friend. He made me smile, helped me forget the pain. I felt safe with him—safer than I've felt my entire life. And now, he was gone. Leaving me in this forsaken, ridiculous apartment that was absolutely painted in Kylo.

I might even love him. Did that scare him? I never acted like I needed more from him. He was the one that pushed our relationship further. He put us in the same quarters; he comes to me; he was the one to reach out via message or holo.

Was that the problem? Was I not putting forth enough effort?

Until that very moment, I hadn't realized just how much I was addicted. But now, he's taken my number two ship and fled, and I had no idea when I'd see him again. The thought made me feel as if I would crumble right there.

I had been foolish to grow attached. I knew this from the start, and I let it happen anyway. No, I hadn't even known it was happening, not like this. He just showed up in my bed and made me happy.

With unexpected speed, my sorrow flipped to rage.

I might trust Kylo, and feel safe enough to be vulnerable with him—but I would not wallow. I wasn't broken.

I was pissed. He lured me into a relationship without me even realizing it.

But I had bigger goals than being loved.

It was time to grow my fleet.

I picked up my comm, a comforting voice coming out.

"Cardinal."

"It's Maia. What's your schedule like this morning?"

"Good morning, Admiral," his voice came out much more cheerily than before. I smiled, but the humor didn't reach very deep. "You know me, breakfast with the cadets, then to the training rooms we go."

I chuckled lightly. The man was a thorough hard ass, but only when he absolutely needed to be. I quite liked him.

"Would I be intruding if I joined you for breakfast?"

"Not at all. It's not for another two hours though."

"Hmm. We could get a little light sparring in first."

"Admiral, you spoil me. Of course I want to get in the ring with my best student."

I hadn't expected him to almost cheer me up, but here he was, always a good friend.