Onderon

Kylo, armory off the main hanger aboard the Harbinger

"Sir," Kuruk's voice came out. I turned, quick enough for my cloak to rustle noisily. "I know we're on a time crunch, but I need to tell you something."

"Speak."

"Maia is planning something for Onderan. I don't know what, but I think we need more troops with us." My eyes trailed to her across the armory. She did indeed appear to be prepping for a battle. She'd chosen to dawn a body glove, her entire body other than her head, hands, and feet covered with a tight, black fabric woven with armor.

She'd embraced the white of an admiral, but like Hux, has had the uniform redesigned to look rather imposing. Rather than a long coat like the general, however, she wore a long cover that strapped to her shoulders. It was almost a cloak but did not cover her arms. Today, however, she wore a white dress with her usual uniform belt.

As I spoke, I watched my assistant tighten the straps on Maia's left arm before helping her pull her uniform jacket on. I didn't know everything she was carrying, but it appeared to be more than enough.

"I'm already aware she has something in mind. She has Cardinal and Phasma both with us."

"For a conversation with the queen?"

I smiled under my mask. "That is what we're going for, yes. You think we need more?"

"I don't know."

I nodded. Yes, Maia had a plan—but I was still bitter about missing her disassemble Admiral Dou. I was eager to see what she had planned.

"Did you read the reports on the Wild Space pirate situation she dealt with?"

"Of course. It was a fine display of diplomacy."

"I agree. But Hux had expected her to take her fleet and fight."

"She did the opposite of what was expected of her," he pointed out. Ah, yes, I see what he meant. We expect diplomacy today, but perhaps we could not properly predict her actions.

"The high admiral has ordered exactly how many people we need, I am sure." I paused. "If it makes you feel better, have men on standby."

"Yes, sir."

Huh. I had thought he would disagree on account of 'him feeling better.' My interest was piqued—I thought Maia simply wished to have elite guards in case the queen didn't like what we had to say. But it would seem Kuruk had a different idea of what today would hold.

———

Maia

I stood before Cardinal and his ten men, the Knights listening as well. Phasma and her two squads were scheduled to arrive ten minutes before us and had other orders, which may or may not prove to be needed. I hoped they would, as I promised the queen justice. I could feel Kylo watching my every move.

I gave my instructions: basic defensive maneuvers through an angry crowd, mostly. The queen was trying to do better than her husband, but he had left the planet in chaos. Only Cardinal and the queen knew what happened to the king, and neither had revealed my secret to anyone, as far as I knew. It had been a risk to tell her, but one I had anticipated correctly. She hadn't agreed with the direction her beloved planet had taken. They were still a New Republic system, and I had no plans of dissuading them of that. Rather, I thought it could be the first monarchy to work with us both.

However, it would be a messy journey.

"Are you going to share your plan with me, Admiral?" Kylo asked once I took the chair next to him. I wasn't sure, but I thought he sounded amused.