Death Star

Maia, the Millennium Falcon, the Endor system

"You know," Han's voice broke through my thoughts, dragging my focus back to the present. "This is now the fourth time in my life I've approached one of these damn things." His head turned to me. "Am I cursed?"

My lips split into a smile before I giggled. Chewie let out a gruff chuckle too. Kuruk made no noise, though I didn't think any of us expected him to. The others acted like he wasn't there altogether.

"We're not cursed," I finally answered with a smile still hanging on my lips. "The Jedi would call it the will of the Force." I made a dramatic motion, like I was trying to showcase the Force.

"And you don't? Don't tell Luke." I glanced back into the ship, verifying he wasn't near. Though he had agreed with me the night before, I knew we sat on opposite sides of the table. It was something in the way he looked at me, watching, waiting. I also didn't think the Jedi needed to 'die' as he put it. They were always a symbol, even before the fall of their Republic. In my eyes, Luke could have been the start of something new, something wonderful.

"I'm not really religious. It suggests there is good and bad. If that were true, why would the good not always win?" The Force was real enough, and I certainly understood why, throughout history, it has been seen as some sort of mystical entity along with the people that wield it. I even believe it, to an extent.

Luke's voice came out from where I had just looked. "It does, just not on your time."

"I learned quite young that the world isn't black and white, good and evil, light and dark," I said the last ones a bit too dramatically, as Luke actually rolled his eyes at me before leaning lazily against the wall.

"But each of those things exist. Having an extreme on each side does not eliminate what is between." I snorted, a small sound that embarrassed me the moment it was out.

"Yeah, I'm not convinced," I said with a grin, ready to tease the old man.

What he said was true, but to focus on the extremes—light and dark—was like eliminating the beautiful shades between. The Jedi may not have ignored the small-time Force-sensitives, but everyone else did. The Force should have been taught to everyone, despite the ability to feel it. Perhaps then, they would not have been viewed as godlike.

As I said, I'm not religious.

He gave me a stern look. "That's interesting. What about your connection with my nephew?"

"What about it? People don't need an all-seeing entity to help them fall in love."

"Love?" He scoffed. "Did you love him as a child?"

My brows furrowed in confusion. "I didn't know him yet."

"Are you sure about that?"

I blinked at him, still confused, my mind reluctant. He couldn't know about my dreams. They were dreams, right? I hadn't found the time to investigate further since my sudden acceptance of the Force. Since they didn't seem to be reciprocated by Kylo, I assumed they were nothing more than a delusional memory.

"I've known him less than two years," I finally answered, my heart slamming in my chest. What did he know?

"Hmm," Luke mumbled a bit dramatically. I continued to stare at him, waiting.

Han spoke up. "When my son was about four, he began talking about someone, like he'd met a new friend. I remember him saying, 'she's like me, dad!'" He shook his head. "We thought he had an imaginary friend." Oh, kriff. "But it never quit. It went on for years."