chapter fourteen.

Today was Y/n's deadline. Today.

Now it would be pretty unfair to say Y/n hadn't given any information because she's given more than Price had expected, those were Soaps words at least. But she wasn't able to give the important information to finish this mission. She gave off the schedule of things, the layout of the building, fuck even the guns they were required to have armed at all times. But not the main things. She felt like a letdown.

"L/n! Break." A man commanded as if she was a dog, but it wasn't new. This was her last night at the Cartel, but they didn't know that. She took her mask off and noticed another man coming up. It wasn't anything odd, but something about it felt weird. It was as if her coworker was going on break at the same time by how they mumbled to each other and he took his mask off as well. After going down the elevator and taking her walk to the safehouse, Y/n felt uncertain in her stomach. Is Soap expecting some big news? Today was her deadline, sure, but to the Cartel it was a normal day so Y/n was given no important information.

She opened the door. Soaps eyes were glued on the door already, so they made eye contact quickly. There was some silence. "Miss me?" Veil questioned, making her way over to him and sitting across the table.

"Cut to it- either you have info or not," His words were harsh but his tone was easy on her. Y/n almost smiled at him, but this situation was nothing to smile about.

Y/n pursed her lips, leaning forward as she settled in her chair, "... No. Nothing new..." she replied as she leaned back into her chair, her eyes on the table in shame. Did she just fuck everything over? Sure. Probably. But she did know they were doing this about this mission other than her, she wasn't the main thing, so that comforted her a bit.

John just nodded in understanding, letting out a sigh. "Don't fret over it too much. You did just fine. Helped out a lot, actually." He leaned across the table to pat her hands that fidgeted, his dog tag clanking against the hard material of the table. Once he got back into a sitting position, he went on. "You are aware we come in to attack these bastards tomorrow though, right? I hope you didn't fall in love with your enemy like one of those sappy chic-flics?"

"I'm aware. Love is quite the opposite I feel towards them." Y/n responded, raising an eyebrow over at Soap. She then wondered something. "So do I head back with you? I have no point going back if we are attacking tomorrow."

"You finish your shift tonight. Tomorrow morning is around the time Alejandro will pick you up from this building." 

Veil nodded. It'd look pretty suspicious if she never came back from her shift and then the next day they get attacked. The only reason she can think of why this was a worry was because of Jarvis and his family, but maybe there were other things.

Y/n hummed as she glanced at her watch. "Not to be all emotional, but I'm guessing this is the last time we see each other?" She hoped he would just laugh and deny it, but he sat there with a stoic expression.

"It was nice working with you... well, I guess it wasn't really working. We just talked about random stuff, right." He casted a friendly nod over toward her, but there was for sure a weakening feeling in him. Who knows, if they succeed in the attack tomorrow then perhaps it'll be because of the information Y/n had given throughout the course she worked and she would be sent back to the base.

An hour passed by faster than the two had wanted, but it was eventually time for Y/n to head back to the Cartel for her last shift. Soap offered his hand out to Veil and gave her a side hug once their hands met. "See you later." Soap said, his eyes studying her face for the last time as he would imagine. She looked down at his necklace and he grinned, "I won't sell it don't worry... I'll wait until I know its value price goes up."

Y/n rolled her eyes at his remark, "Alright Soap. I'll catch you later." That felt better to say rather than bye. The last goodbye is hard for anyone to do.

Heading back to the Cartel building felt like the longest walk Veil has experienced, getting back to her position. She looked over to see her usual on-guard coworker was gone, holding her mask in her hand. That's weird.

---

When MacTavish arrived back on base, he did things in this order. He got a snack, took a shower then headed straight to Prices office. The Captain had Laswell in his office as they were in the middle of a discussion, and Soap overheard it was about the attack for tomorrow.

Price looked up expectedly. "Well? Tell me some good news."

Soap looked between the two, his arms crossed as he leaned against the doorframe. "Good news is we take these assholes out tomorrow and finish this."

Disappointment spread over Price's face as he and Laswell shared a look, everyone's eyes flickering over to a walkie-talkie on Price's desk once noise came from it.

"Helloooo? Is this the... what's it called again? What? Task Force?... Speak up!... Hm, Task Force 141, do you copy?" A lady with a thick accent emerged from the small device, and it was evident she was talking to someone on her side of the line before questioning if Price heard.

"What the bloody hell is this?" Price snatched up his talkie, glancing at the screen. "It's Veil's radio ID." He stated out loud, pressing his button so he could reply. "Who is this?"

There was silence. Soaps blood turned cold as he stared at the Captain. So it was a great assumption things were about to go down, and it wasn't an easy feeling knowing Veil was caught in the middle of it.

"Maybe try again," Laswell suggested, but right after, the voice came through again.

"Its the person you're looking for, yes? Your little spy told us everything. Be quiet you pedazo de mierda sin valor!"  There was a muffled sound of something roughly getting impacted then a cry out and groan. MacTavish's muscles tightened as he stared intensely at the little device, resisting the urge to snatch the radio and talk to the person himself. 

"Like I was saying. I suggest you and your little group head over here so we can discuss this like adults. I'll give you five hours to be here. Any time over and the girl dies. Hope we have an agreement?" 

Captain Price looked between the small group of the two others. Soap was perked up, looking at Price with wide eyes but they settled. This was scary, this was tough, but he knew Price doesn't just abandon people. Not to add Y/n could accidentally snitch if she had nothing left to give, but Johnny knew that wasn't a possibility. "So? We ride out now?" Soap questioned.

Price kept his eyes on Soap, pressing down on the button, and responded. "Understood. Touch her before we get there and things will get violent." 

The lady on the other side of the device laughed at the beginning of her words. "You got yourself a deal, chico blanco."