chapter forty-one.

"To sum it up, I would rather get tortured myself than put you through any more wretched pain."

With every punch, kick, and slap Veil had to close her eyes and tense for, Soap's grunts and groans filling her ears after every action. She could leave, and she debated it at first, but she wanted to hear Soap's confession in person. She needed to know the truth now.

Price took a step back and shook his hand after another punch, Soaps face beat, blood dripping from his lips. The older male glanced down at his bruised knuckles, shaking his head as he looked at the ceiling, "Is there anyone you would feel more comfortable talking to one on one," sarcasm filled Price's tone with the offer, not expecting an answer. They had been doing this for about twenty minutes and he was running out of ideas.

Soap had to take a minute to catch his breath, his head leaning to the left. Once he got his composure, he slowly moved his head upright, breathing heavily, "Yeah. If you meant it, leave me alone with Veil." His voice was hoarse, tear streaks staining his cheeks but his eyes were cold.

Price leaned his head back for a second as he glared at MacTavish, glancing at Veil. "You feel comfortable being alone with him?" He muttered, having some doubts but knew Y/n saw what could happen to her if she also betrayed them.

After giving a curt response agreeing to Soaps wish, Veil cleared her throat, "I'll let you know what he says." And with that the two men left the room, giving a fifteen-minute limit. Her heart began to race as she turned around to examine the man from a distance.

"Veil," Soap quietly said, her name sounding so innocent and delicate from his lips that were stained with red blood.

"I'm not wasting my time, so start talking."

Johnny wasn't shocked by her strict attitude, but it did hurt, and it hurt more than his new wounds. "It's nice seeing you again," He attempted to tease her so she could relax, but she just shook her head.

"I'll bring Price back in here if you don't hurry."

Johnny didn't like that, so he just straight to it, "Fine, fine... just please listen to me and... you can't tell the others."

"Bullshit, whatever you say I copy to them." She crossed her arms, trying her best to remain calm and not break down. He was lucky there weren't any cameras in the room.

He shook his head, "Please... I'll tell you, then maybe you'll understand... just promise me you won't tell them after I do."

Beginning to get captivated, Y/n looked him up and down then gave a small nod. She was obviously going to tell them if it was the answer they were looking for. "Fine. Hurry though."

"So... You... you're in danger. You could get killed if this got leaked, and I would rather be tortured by the devil himself before seeing- before knowing you got hurt, especially because of me. Veil, I swear to you that it's not what it seems. I was forced to join their side, they had... access to you. Your location, information, everything. I don't even know how she-... fuck, how they got it-"

"Who's 'she'?" Veil interrupted, her eyes narrowing. 

"Veil..." He kept saying her name in every sentence he spoke as if it was the only thing he had left of her. 

"Who is it?" Y/n took a few steps forward, now in front of him. Her soft spot for him opened up again seeing him so vulnerable, and it took everything in her to try to believe him. She knelt in front of him to show she could be trusted, putting her hand on his knee, "I believe you, just tell me who it is." This was half the truth as she still held obvious distrust in him and she felt anger just from touching him, but the other half of her missed it.

Johnny watched her intensely, licking his lips and Veil wondered if the iron taste from his own blood made him regret that. He shifted a bit, her touch comforting him. 

"Kiley."

Her? That's who threatened Soap? How did she switch teams like that so fast?... or was she ever on this team? Damn it, did she pull Veil's move of being an inside spy? This explained a lot though, why she joined when Veil was gone, why she wanted Y/n gone when she came back from her mission, why she visited people during their times off or during late hours expecting them not to be around to get their information... maybe she overlooked it, but things did add up.

"You really think Target could kill me?" Veil helplessly joked, but secretly her mind spun.

"Yes. Like I said, it's not how it seems. She has ways to hurt you..."

"What do you want me to tell Price, then?" Veil questioned skeptically, knowing Soap will remain behind bars regardless, so if he was lying then he would get hurt even more later on.

"Tell him I was having a pity party for myself and I'll take the hits. I'd rather get abused than this get told to anyone, got it? I'll figure it out myself on how to fix this, you just have to trust me... I know I'll be locked up for a while, and I also know the schedules for the guards at the cells. Come visit me every day at 4am, the guards are off duty for that hour... just like old times, yeah?"

"Soap, I swear if I find out you're lying-"

"I hope the love I've given you is enough proof that you are the person I respect the most. Of course I'm telling the truth." Johnny didn't even hesitate, "You mean more to me than you'll ever know. I won't ever lie to you in an effort to hurt you, you understand?"

Veil slowly stood up, her eyes remaining on his, "I trust you, Johnny."