chapter thirty-nine.

A/N: its been a month holy shit!! sorry guys, things have been rough. im even more sorry for the short chapter, but hope it isn't too bad- see you guys soon <3

---

This was a bad idea, but Veil didn't care. The chances of her getting caught were split equally, but she was willing to take her chances. There were a few hours left until interrogation, and her patience ran thin.

She had a plan set out anyway.

"Soap."

A man locked behind bars glanced up tiredly after he heard his name whispered, having to take a double take once he realized who it was.

"Veil- what are you doing here?" He reciprocated the quiet talk, his eyes scanning her frame as if he hadn't seen her body in years, meeting her eyes with an even stronger emotion. He walked over to the bars that separated them, his eyebrows slightly narrowed in confusion.

She missed his voice- it hasn't even been 24 hours but his presence gave her a sense of welcoming, even if he was behind the bars belonging to a cell. Speaking of, she questioned if this was a good idea. What if he was a traitor? God, why did she come here? It's as if her feet lead her here and her brain compromised with a plan b if she got in trouble.

How should she respond to his question? What was she doing here?

"I just missed you." She had a meek feeling in her stomach, refusing to break eye contact. What she said was both dumb but true, she had no other explanation for coming here. She found their conversation to be fast and sudden, but it was with good reason.

Taken aback, Soap blinked and stared at her in shock before a laid-back smile crossed his features despite his current condition. "Me?" He purred, trying to easy out the situation naturally.

"Nows not the time to joke around. Do you know why you're in here?" Veil didn't hesitate with her own mini interrogation, needing to see his genuine reaction. Surely he would be a bit caught off guard.

Johnny shook his head right away, his smile dropping and eyes turning soft, "Not a clue- safe to say this isn't really the room I wanted to come back to. Do you know why? What'd I do?"

His words were rushed, both knowing their secret time was limited. Y/n sighed as she looked over her shoulder, meeting his eyes again, "I don't know either." She lied, watching as he gave her a short and understanding nod.

"Well, are you okay? You seem shaken up... Did they hurt you, bonnie?"

Bonnie? She remembered what that meant. It meant beautiful. She didn't even question it, though, breezing past the pet name and answering his question, "I'm fine. Just confused about everything," Before she could continue, she heard muffled voices from behind the doors, two people approaching. She quickly looked back to Johnny, his eyes just as concerned, "I'll see you in the interrogation room... -Please promise me you don't know why," Her hushed words came out at a fast pace.

"I swear to you. I wouldn't want to betray you like this. Now get going before you get caught."

Veil examined Soap for a few short seconds, not wanting to leave, but she did. She sped to the other door that led to the living room area, her brain reeling. Should she believe him?