chapter thirty-five.

Getting to the location they needed to be was a hassle. Boarding the helicopter and sitting in the dark area with no heater for hours was just the start of the struggle. Once landing, they all had to trek through the snow to find a secluded spot deep in the woods, the night sky making it hard to see ahead.

"Set up your tents and rest for the night. First thing in the morning we begin, so try your best to get some sleep," Soap was taking off his backpack as he spoke to the group, everyone following after and setting up their tents as instructed. Johnny motioned for Veil to come by his side, "Mind helping me out?"

It was their tent after all. She approached him, the snow crunching under her soaked boots, "What part do you want me to do?"

It took roughly ten minutes for their tent to be set up, and an extra five for them to make a floor capable to sleep on. They just threw a portable heated blanket on the ground of the tent and turned on the little switch. 

Y/n sighed as she began to untie her laced-up boots, Soap zipping up the door as she got settled. She took out Gaz's teddy bear and the new blanket Ghost had gifted her, laying down on the floor.

"It's a good thing you brought the heated blanket," She was more than grateful for it, Soap also took off any heavily layered clothing as she spoke, the two in their own thick sweater and warm pants. She hugged the little stuffed animal as she stared at the little light on the blanket that indicated it was on, wondering what its lifespan was since it wasn't connected to an outlet.

"Aye, I think so too," Soap murmured as he laid down next to her, pulling up the queen-sized comforter over themselves. Veil had her soft single-person blanket under the bigger one just for the extra warmth.

The girl idly heard the others chat in their own tents outside, listening to the quiet laughter and stories shared among the rest. "It's almost as cold as your room out here," She joked, happy to hear him laugh behind her.

"I wish it was this cold in there."

"My fingers are numb, why would you ever want it to be this cold?"

Soap rolled his eyes, a grin on his lips but Veil couldn't see as her back faced him, "Put some gloves on then."

Veil sighed, her body quivering even with the warmth generated under the two. Hopefully this mission wasn't too long. Her brain began to dance around random topics before one hit her. "Hey, actually there was something Ghost said after he gave me the blanket that I didn't tell you about."

Intrigued, Soap replied, "Oh yeah? What'd he say?"

"He was wondering if we were a thing. I said no, obviously, and he just said 'right...' He was nicer to me too. You think he saw I was actually doing something and changed his mind about me?" She questioned softly, the light buzzing sound under them causing the tension to be a little less awkward.

Of course he did... "Yeah, maybe. He's a mysterious man, but that's what makes him so good at his job."

Now encouraged by knowing her friendship with Ghost could improve, Veil nodded, "That's good to know. I'm not going to forgive him for the threats, but maybe we could become friends. That'd make my job a lot easier, at least."

"Try not to worry too much about what others think of you, L/n. That'll be the reason why you fail. Just focus on what you're working on, not who you're working with because people change all the time. Better to rely on yourself than someone who is only relying on themself."

Veil tossed around his words in her mind, pursing her lips. She turned around to face him, his eyes meeting hers as she did so, "What about you?"

"What about me?" Soap questioned but in a different tone than hers, wondering why she was thinking about him in this context.

"You know. You've been the person I've worked with the most, out of missions or not. How do I know you won't change on me?" This was something she's been worried about for a while, hence another reason why being in a relationship in the field wouldn't work for her.

MacTavish studied her, not hurt by her words but more considerate towards them. He tried to think of a good answer to convince Y/n he wouldn't ever betray her.

"I've let you borrow my toothpaste."

Veil's expression dropped, unimpressed.

He laughed lightly at her reaction, knowing he should make up for ruining the moment. He kept his eyes closed as he spoke, "Mmm, but no. I won't change on you because you're the thing I want to protect. I don't know how to really explain it, but when I saw you back in Las Almas all tied up, something changed in me. Never felt that way about anyone else, and I've seen a lot of my brothers in the military hurt, or even killed..." He paused, collecting himself before adding, "To sum it up, I would rather get tortured myself than put you through any more wretched pain."

His words hit her with a force of a thousand pounds, her eyes soft yet wide as she laid there and stared at him. 

She was falling hard, and she knew it. But she didn't want to. She really didn't want to. Silence passed between them as she consumed his words, trying to find the appropriate answer for him.

Y/n didn't hesitate as she moved over, now against his chest. She didn't know how to respond to his confession, and she felt like if she tried then she'd embarrass herself. So she just pressed herself against him and also took in the bonus of his heat.

"You cold?" Soap's question was gravelly as he spoke, moving his arms so he could comfortably hug her closer, not even double-thinking his action.

"That's not why I moved over," Y/n quietly replied, his embrace causing butterflies to swarm in her stomach. They were about to risk their lives tomorrow, but all she could think about was now and how he held her with comforting words.

"Oh?" Soap indirectly edged her to explain.

"I just really like you. You're too nice to me."

"You don't even know half the things I feel for you, Veil."