chapter nineteen.

Now imagine this. Your leg got punctured by a knife, you inhaled a dangerous amount of pepper spray and your body was adjusting to the after-effects of some drugs. Sounds rough, right? Well, Veil had to push through those exact things just to wobble all the way to the barracks office, just to find out they were closed. It was 10 pm on a Sunday, but you'd figure they were open 24/7.

She figured she could just sleep on the lounge couch tonight, then early morning make her way back to the office to settle into a new room. It was a minor struggle sitting down on the couch, but once achieved, she got snuggled into the cushions, the crutch leaning on the side of the furniture. It was a short decision to flick on the TV with the volume almost completely down.

Two hours passed by, and Y/n was wide awake. The lounge room wasn't necessarily ideal for sleeping in since the lights were always on. She hummed softly as she scrolled through her phone, laying down. This trance was so intense that it didn't dawn on her that Soap walked through the doorway.

He noticed her right away, stopping at the entrance. "Veil? What're you doing out here?"

Y/n's head abruptly turned to spot him, her eyebrows narrowing in question as well. "What are you doing here?"

"I asked first if I remember correctly. But I came out here to get a snack."

Oh, damn. "The office was closed so I'm camping out here until they open." She informed, glancing at the TV and then back to him.

MacTavish found this alarming, raising his eyebrows a bit. "Really? There's no way you can sleep through these lights," He often wondered why they didn't turn them off near nighttime... but then again, here he was getting a snack at 11 pm.

"I'll be fine, a little mindless scrolling isn't too bad, either." She honestly hated it. Her mind has reminded her of all that happened. How Jarvis is dead and she didn't have any entail on his family. It was a horrible mind-racing thing she was suffering through, and she wondered what Alejandro knows.

"Aren't you tired?" She didn't have to answer his question, her face telling it all. "Would you be comfortable sleeping in my room? We can swap for the night."

Y/n couldn't lie, that sounded amazing. "I don't want to intrude on your personal space."

"You'll never do that."

"Are you sure?" She didn't even try to fight it, just wanting to sleep away her thoughts until the morning. 

"Come on, I'll lead you there. It's a semi-permanent room too, so it's much better than the spare one you had gotten," He commented, grabbing an apple as Y/n stood up and made her way to his side. "How's that crutch treating you?"

Veil smiled at his small talk, allowing him to crunch into his apple first before replying, "Honestly not bad. It's annoying but at least I don't have to use two."

The walk wasn't far at all, the two approaching a door that had a number on the side and the lettering Sgt. MacTavish. Veil noted how it resembled a movie star's room.

Johnny opened the door and allowed Y/n in first, glancing down the hallway to make sure no one was witnessing this. It would've looked bad.

His room was spacious and tidy, the theme being dark gray and black. There was a desk with some things scattered around, a basket with dirty clothes and a nice queen-sized bed.

"It's so nice in here." She almost envied how big his bed was, herself having to sleep on a twin sized when she was on base.

Soap looked over to Veil who was obviously admiring his decor. He grinned before talking, "Thanks- figured minimized decorating would be better since we move around a lot. Don't wanna get too attached to this one."