chapter seventeen.

"Relax, I'm just gonna wrap this cloth tightly above the wound to minimize the bleeding," Soap urgently informed the wounded girl, looking at her face. She appeared dazed, obviously shifting in and out of consciousness. He could smell the pepper spray radiating from her. "Alejandro! Get a wet cloth to help with the pepper spray!" He barked, removing his eyes from her face after giving the demand. As Alejandro did his part, Soap had gotten a cloth and firmly wrapped it about the wound, the knife still intact. Y/n's eyebrows scrunched as she leaned her head back and Soap could tell she was trying her best not to make noise by how heavily she breathed.

"It's okay to make noise," He assured Veil in a comforting tone, crouched down in front of her as he was trying his best to perform decent medical aid. Y/n just weakly scoffed at his words.

Alejandro rushed over, having a cloth that he had poured water on from a plastic bottle. He could tell right away where the cloth was needed, examining Veil's lower face. "Holy shit they really did some damage, huh? " He also noted the bruise, bringing the cloth over to Y/n's lips. "This is gonna hurt, be ready," He informed, starting to quickly dab away any remaining pepper spray that lingered or hadn't soaked into her skin already. "She's really quiet for being this beat up, yeah?"

"Yeah, she is," Johnny didn't remove his eyes from her twisted expression. Soap had a minor hint of concern suited on his face but deep down he felt bubbling hatred toward the people who did this to her, if he showed it though that wouldn't do any justice. "Let's just pray that the others will be back soon, she's starting to turn pale."

Vargas simply nodded, eyeing up Y/n to see if there was anything else he could do. "I'm gonna head back to my men to see if everythings ok- will you be okay keeping by her side alone?"

"Just dandy. Git on with it, then," Soap was confident in himself with being Y/n's support, watching as Alejandro gave his shoulder a light fist bump and then rushed out. He couldn't talk on the radios because the Cartel were most likely buzzing into their connection. It was nice of him to have joined in the help with getting Veil to safety.

It was a bit of staring out the helicopter opening before Y/n knocked Soap out of his trance. "MacTavish?" Her voice was very hoarse, maybe from crying, maybe from the pepperspray, but Johnny's bets were on both.

Soap felt his whole body turn cold as he was excited to see her interact with him. "Yeah, I'm here. What's up? Do you need anything?"

There was some silence that made Johnny believe she was about to pass out, but before he could nudge her, she spoke up. "I'm really tired..."

Those words were far from peaceful to Soaps mind, running his tongue across his teeth as he tried to rush what to say. "I know, I really do, but you have to stay up. Can you do that for me?" He scanned her face, shifting a bit as he was still crouched in front of her. There was a long moment of silence again and Johnny grew impatient. "Talk to me about anything. How are you feeling?"

This caught Veil's attention as a soft chuckle left her lips, her head leaned back and eyes closed the entire conversation. "I have a fucking knife sticking out of my leg and my lungs feel infected... and you're asking me how I'm feeling?"

"So... good?" Johnny joked, tilting his head to the side as his did so, his eyes refusing to leave her face.

"Oh fuck you, Soap. How about once I'm better I give you a knife to the leg and antagonize you the same way." She spoke from the light-headedness, a small smile on her lips, but Johnny did appreciate her good mindset as she was in and out.

A smile cracked onto the others face, "So I'm antagonizing you?"

The air went quiet once more. "Soap... I forgot to tell Alejandro about Jarvis..."