chapter thirty-eight.

Only an hour had passed. That wasn't necessarily a bad thing as that was just sixty minutes closer to finally seeing Soap. She juggled between thoughts, some good, some bad, and some that didn't make sense but they were more of the preferable option. Her brain had skimmed through many memories, and one main thought was directed to that soldier who seemed antsy the day Price called her in.

Who was he? She should have at least got his dog tag, because she had some questions. Why was he nervous and did he know what was happening?

"You really think Soap is guilty?"

Y/n's eyes flickered over to Ghost who had requested her to stay on the couch with him. It wasn't normal for him to want company, especially hers, but he didn't seem comfortable with her leaving, so they remained across each other in the room, mainly quiet.

That was a hard question. Recently she and Soap had formed a close connection and it was a mutual understanding that they were a thing but weren't at the same time. It was hard to explain if you weren't a person in the situationship.

"I think it'd be easier for me to say yes or no once I see him." Of course she was in the mindset that he wasn't danger, but Price has known Soap longer than her. He knew his intentions, he knew more about the mission and if he somehow got contacted about this and had the urgency he did, then she knew the potential that MacTavish wasn't really who he said was very high.

Simon shifted in his position, grunting as he did so and Veil couldn't tell if it was a sound of acknowledgment or just on accident as he moved. He reached over to grab the tv remote, his drink loose in his other hand. "Be a shame if he really is against us. Got me wondering why now and not earlier." 

That was a good point, and it also adds on to if it took this long then what else has Soap done without the force realizing? Veil closed her eyes and steadied her mind. It was a piercing pain because-

"Must be hell on you since you two were a thing, yeah?"

Y/n opened her eyes to meet Ghost's, feeling like her blood turned cold. "I said this earlier before I left, but we aren't a thing. Just friends. Why have you so buggy about that?" She couldn't tell if he was trying to fluster her or not, because she knows damn well she told Simon about the status shared with Soap before she left. If he was trying to get under her skin, now wasn't the right time.

A chuckle left his lips, but there was no joy to it, "You really mean it or just trying to cover your ass? It's pretty clear you both are something- the way you goggled at each other was enough to prove it."

"I get you're also uptight about the whole traitor situation, but seriously cut it out." She was seconds from getting up and taking a walk. She didn't want to feel flustered or embarrassed right now, and this felt like it was just leading to him threatening her again since he wasn't in the best mindset either. Besides, mocking her about her relationship with the likely traitor was wrenching.

Ghost noticed her defensive behavior and stepped down, going back to silence as he returned his attention back to the show that played. He shouldn't let his jealousy and betrayal combine because even he recognized his malicious words and it didn't make the progress with her any better. "Sorry."

Veil relaxed her annoyed expression after his apology, scanning Ghost before looking away. She always thought his ego was too high to own up to a bad interaction but she got stood corrected. "That was kind of dramatic actually, so I'm sorry too." She hesitated then continued, "Soap isn't my boyfriend, but he's really important to me." She felt like explaining their friendship to Ghost would comfort him a bit.

"Yeah, well he's important to me too," Not as important to go sleep with him, but sure. He's important to you.

"Well, do you think he's guilty?" Veil returned the earlier question, knowing Ghost probably knew Soap better than her as well. All this thinking made her realize she didn't know Soap as much as she thought she did.

Simon's mask was still up to reveal his lips and Y/n watched as he pursed them, his eyes hallowing as they just remained on the tv. He took a sip of his drink. "I was there when Price got the message from the Iranians that Soap was busting our asses. It was over the radio. They tuned in and told us John MacTavish gave away all personal detail. For proof, they gave us his tag info, his date of birth, eye color, even any bloody medications he was on for some fucking reason. The good majority of it was identification that it was in fact him. They even addressed Price the same way, giving us his private info, but no where near as much as they did for Soap."

"Couldn't anyone just find out that stuff? Like I'm sure Soap left his tag unattended at some point. His eye color is pretty obvious. What if they just zoned into our lines and heard our communication? I just don't get why it's Soap we are targeting right now." Besides, why would they give away someone helping them to hurt Task Force 141?

Ghost shook his head, "I trust Price."

"Has he told you anything other than what you've heard with him?"

"No."

Veil squinted at him, wondering if the trust was with good reason or just blinded. She decided to drop the topic so she could now brew up some more questions and whatnot for the new information she received. Was that all that happened? Why the hell did Price stumble around it then? 

Well, if Soap was a bad guy, he was right about one thing he taught her. Better to rely on yourself.