26

Mr

Mr. Munson was kind.

And his kindness wasn't from fake smiles and reassurances, or pleasantries that left little earthquakes in your stomach. His kindness and compassion was the raggedy old blanket over her shoulders, a cup of black coffee, and a simple silence demanding no explanation, conversation, or anything from the girl.

The cops were half way to the trailer by the time Eddie's uncle arrived and Joan had finally got the power to push herself out of the suffocating scene when she ran straight into the man's arms.

It must have been a sight to see.

A random teenage girl running out of your home in near hysterics and a body behind her in the middle of your living room. It took him seconds to process the situation and only a second longer to push the unknown teen out onto the bench and return with a blanket.

He had seen his fair share of bodies and more.

Joan apologized and tried to explain, but what was there to explain? She walked in on... Chrissy's body after she was with the guy's nephew. But there was something that screamed supernatural from the random onslaught of dizziness before she even left her car to the inhumane way Chrissy's body laid.

Chrissy was supposed to be different. She wasn't supposed to die. Joan had finally come to terms with letting in a new friend, but suddenly...

"And can you tell me why you were at the Munson trailer?"

"What?" Joan snapped back out of her head and fidgeted on the bench at the two offers sitting in front of her. She shook her head. "Y-yeah, uh Chrissy... she asked me to pick her up after I dropped off my brother and his, uh, friends."

Chief Powell was no different from his son who would one day follow in his footsteps as Officer Powell - fondly referred to as Junior by the town - who would pull a gun on Joan Destiny for breaking and entering... because the third in the line of Powells was a dick and deserved it....would deserve it?

The Powells were straight to the point after jokes were aside, but had a presence that could calm anyone boarding mania. He was obviously new to the role, but these must have been some of the defining moments that led him to being the chief of police that everyone respected in the future.

"Why would she ask you to do that?"

"Because she wanted to talk to Eddie and Eddie drove her here." She really didn't want to make Chrissy seem like a drug addict... and part of her didn't want Eddie implicated in this but... she just didn't understand. "I-I offered to drive or come with but she... didn't want to be a nuisance... I guess she felt like a burden."

"And what was the relation between the Munson-boy and Miss Cunningham?"

Even though Joan knew all points pointed to Eddie being nefariously involved, something about the way the officer gave respectful title to Chrissy and not to Eddie made her lips frown.