40

If God was real, she was terrified to see what hell truly was after witnessing all that she had

Once Eddie was spotted making a getaway, Patrick responded immediately to Jason's call only giving Joan one last smile and squeeze of the hands as he spoke to her for the last time.

"I knew you were always good, Joan. I-I'm sorry about that night, do you think we could... try again? Now that we're... better than we once were?"

Joan smiled softly and that was all Patrick needed to fuel his run and consequently his final swim. The small prayer that he needed to finish this once and for all so he can free them both from whatever curse had landed on them. Because they were older, better and they would continue to grow wiser with time. Together.

Or at least,

so he had thought.

Joan watched with wide eyes as Patrick's last moments scarred his closest friends and Eddie Munson. Amongst the frozen fear, Joan's eyes flickered over to the metalhead and although she had begun crying for the loss of a friend, she screamed out to him.

"Leave, Eddie! Go!"

Eddie's head snapped over to Joan's with wide eyes before he woke up and with one last rev of the boat engine he drove the boat as far as could, out from her sight and away from the second body he had seen cruelly murdered. It didn't take long for Joan to realize the cruel mess of life that she had considered a possible future with Patrick. The teen was kind and willing to learn, to grow past his old ways and become something greater, an admirable feature on anyone.

She had no time to mourn as Jason breached onto land with the broken body, torn apart over the loss of another person in his direct social circle. Using the distraction, Joan sobered herself up and quickly grabbed the old bike leaning against the shed, praying that it would just work.

And somehow, even through the yells for her to stop, Joan peddled as fast as she could down the road while the wind wiped away her tears like a mother's caress. Something she didn't have anymore.

And she let it guide her.

How she managed to bike to the tarp canopy of her and Eddie's old hideout, she would never know. Instead, she let out a calm breath and set the bike against a tree, ignoring the memories haunting her of better times and laughter. She crawled quietly underneath the tarp and sat against the tree where Eddie had carved their friendship into an eternity using their initials.

Joan decided she had had enough.

With a deep breath so dense it burned, Joan closed her eyes and forced herself to relax trying to call out to her kinder twin, channeling her years of horror movies for help.

"ʸᵒᵘ ᵃʳᵉ ʲᵘˢᵗ ˡⁱᵏᵉ ʰⁱᵐ, ʰᵘʰ?" Joan's eyes opened to see the kind Joan sitting in front of her with a sad smile on her face, eyes almost wishful in memories. "ˢᵒ ˢᵐᵃʳᵗ, ᵐᵃʸᵇᵉ ᵗᵒᵒ ˢᵐᵃʳᵗ."